4 CYL TO 5.0 SWAP???

j-rock

Nov 5, 2005
Hey guys I'm new here. I have a 1990 4 cyl car and want to swap a 5.0 into it. I just have a couple of questions. I want to stay fuel injected. Do I need to get a 5.0 computer to swap into the car and do I have to change any of the wiring harness. Or does everything just hook right up? I know about the rearend, trans, etc. I just need to know about the 4 cyl computer. I would appreciate any help on this subject. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

your gonna need a new computer and harness. i think you have to change every harness under the hood. you will want to find it in a car of the same year too. oh, if you can find one use an explerer 5.0 wish i would have
if your going 5spd. a9l is the computer you want

its alot of plug and play action.. there is no actually modifying to the harness or body.. everything bolts on and plugs up.. sensors will have to be changed and such but i wouldnt be scared to do it

I have a 5.0 Mustang mag from a coupple years ago and it had the swaps 4 to 8 and 6 to 8 and 5.0 to 5.8.
It told you every thing you need to do and every part number for all the different parts. None of the stuff semed that hard to do with all the pictures they showed it would be very helpfull. If I can find that mag I will send it to you if you want it.

Roland69 said:
I have a 5.0 Mustang mag from a coupple years ago and it had the swaps 4 to 8 and 6 to 8 and 5.0 to 5.8.
It told you every thing you need to do and every part number for all the different parts. None of the stuff semed that hard to do with all the pictures they showed it would be very helpfull. If I can find that mag I will send it to you if you want it.

Wow what a nice guy:lol: :lol: :D :canada:

I just done a swap. I had the 5.0 engine and it still cost me $1500 in parts. A donor car is the best way to go about it. The following parts were different in my 93 lx swap.

Motor mounts
Starter
Battery Cables
All brackets
A/C compressor and lines
Coil
Engine computer
Main harness
Engine harness
O2 harness
Front electrical harness can be altered to work
Fuel lines from filter to engine compartment
Cruise control unit
throttle cable
All vacuum lines
H pipe
Crossmember
Cat backs
All exhaust hangers
Rear brake lines
Auto transmission
engine plate
flex plate
torque convertor
shifter
shifter cable
driveshaft
air intake
Fan - 4 cyclinder electric fan is too tight to use
fan thermostat
All cooling hoses
fan belt
speedometer
The 4 cyclinder car has no air pump or related parts will need with the 5.0 to pass emissions testing

I sure I missed a few parts. I started mine three weeks ago and a few odds and ends this weekend, it will be on the road. The engine started right up after the swap with no problems.

Roland69 said:
That would be awesome if you could. I would really appreciate it. Thanks for all of your help.

Jack's95gt said:
I just done a swap. I had the 5.0 engine and it still cost me $1500 in parts. A donor car is the best way to go about it. The following parts were different in my 93 lx swap.

Motor mounts
Starter
Battery Cables
All brackets
A/C compressor and lines
Coil
Engine computer
Main harness
Engine harness
O2 harness
Front electrical harness can be altered to work
Fuel lines from filter to engine compartment
Cruise control unit
throttle cable
All vacuum lines
H pipe
Crossmember
Cat backs
All exhaust hangers
Rear brake lines
Auto transmission
engine plate
flex plate
torque convertor
shifter
shifter cable
driveshaft
air intake
Fan - 4 cyclinder electric fan is too tight to use
fan thermostat
All cooling hoses
fan belt
speedometer
The 4 cyclinder car has no air pump or related parts will need with the 5.0 to pass emissions testing

I sure I missed a few parts. I started mine three weeks ago and a few odds and ends this weekend, it will be on the road. The engine started right up after the swap with no problems.
I live in Alabama and don't have to worry about emmisions, yet. Guess I'll have to keep my eye out for a donor car. Will the 4 cyl t-5 bolt up to a 5.0 or do I need to get a different bellhousing?

j-rock said:
I live in Alabama and don't have to worry about emmisions, yet. Guess I'll have to keep my eye out for a donor car. Will the 4 cyl t-5 bolt up to a 5.0 or do I need to get a different bellhousing?

They will bolt up but thier is some bushing or something that is weaker on the 4 cyl one that u should change but I don't think it you half to. My friend is running a 4 cyl tranny in his 5.0 and has had no probs with it so far and he beats on it.

i am curently taking everything from my '86 and putting in a '87 4cyl. (im swaping to carb.) car and i was going to use the '86 dbl. hump crossmember...but to my suprise this car already had one (previously a 2 owner car...and im assuming it came factory)

i just though that i would share that piece of info.