4 Speed Manual Close Ratio

• Sponsors (?)

There are two different 1st gear ratios for Ford Toploaders. 2.78 and 2.32. Typically the small input/output shaft trannies are 2.78 and the large input/output shaft trannies are 2.32. The 2.78 would be considered a wide ratio and the 2.32 a close ratio.

Ummm, the wide ratio boxes are the ones that are typically more desired on the track. The reason for the 2.78 small in/out is this is typically a small block tranny. They make less torque, hence the lower (higher numerically) ratio. A 2.78 1st with a set of 4.11s is going to give you more grunt than a 2.32 1st with the same rear gear. The 2.32 big in/out is a big block tranny, they make more torque so they don't need as low a 1st gear. Be aware that there were some 2.32 small in/out trannies for 390's.

All that being said, David Kee is currently working on a Toploader with a Gear Vendors O/D which looks pretty cool. Rather pricey, but cool non-the-less.

The problem with the wide ratio's, 2.78 first gear on the street, with something like 3.70-4.30 ratio rears, is the motor peaks out in rpm, before you're ready to shift:D Almost like having a "granny gear" transmission. I've got a 2.78 Toploader in my Ranger with the 331 and with it's 3.73's and 28" tires, many times you can take off in 2nd, especially when just coming to a rolling stop at a stop sign. In the "heat of battle", I've many times over revv'd it in 1st, simply because it peaks so quickly after nailing the throttle. Even with a small block I'd recommmend a close ratio with these gears. With 3.70 to 4.30's I'd go with a 2.32 1st, if you have the choice. With 2.70 to 3.50's you're better off with the 2.78 1st.

Sorry its been a while. Iv been in the Field. Army talk for sleeping in mud and cold. Stang is due on the 13th, FRIDAY, hope she's early. Im not a devout man to stock but im most likley going to bring her back to the way she rolled off the assembly line.

David Kee toploaders rock! My father has one in his 55 T-bird and talk about awesome. I have another one sitting here at the house that has 1500 miles on it that was used on a 66 galaxie. Was going to use it on my 351 for the 69 but the tail shaft is wrong (which is no biggy) and the input shaft is just however too short. (won't sit in the piolt bearing) not sure what I'm going to do with it yet cause I would have to tear it apart to get the right shaft.

RFMustangGT said:
David Kee toploaders rock! My father has one in his 55 T-bird and talk about awesome. I have another one sitting here at the house that has 1500 miles on it that was used on a 66 galaxie. Was going to use it on my 351 for the 69 but the tail shaft is wrong (which is no biggy) and the input shaft is just however too short. (won't sit in the piolt bearing) not sure what I'm going to do with it yet cause I would have to tear it apart to get the right shaft.
Swap it off to David Kee for one that suits your application. Sounds to me like you've got yourself a close ratio Toploader from a 390 equipped Galaxie there. I sold him one like it two years ago for $450. He drove over 400 miles (one way) to pick it and another Toploader up that I'd just listed on ebay. Got to say one thing about David, he's dedicated to his business and his customers.:nice:

Best 8" gear ratio for a CR Toploader

I Have a Close Ratio Toploader 4-speed in my 67 rag-top. It has the small input shaft. I got it from a friend a few years ago as part of a trade.

I changes the stock 2.80 gears out for a set of 3.25s that I also aquired in the same trade. I am know kicking myself for letting go of the 3.55 gears (that I didn't think I would need)

The probem is that It is a real DOG in 1st gear! My engine has enough torque to be drivable, but I hate it!

I must know chase down a set of 3.55-3.80 gears.

Does anyone have an opinion about my best bet? I am leaning towards the 3.55 range again. I just don't want to be back here again lookin for 3.80s.

BTW if anyone has a good used set of 3.55-3.80 8" gears our there let me know. I would actually prefer a non-posi differential. Less hassle.

CE

caveeagle said:
I Have a Close Ratio Toploader 4-speed in my 67 rag-top. It has the small input shaft. I got it from a friend a few years ago as part of a trade.

I changes the stock 2.80 gears out for a set of 3.25s that I also aquired in the same trade. I am know kicking myself for letting go of the 3.55 gears (that I didn't think I would need)

The probem is that It is a real DOG in 1st gear! My engine has enough torque to be drivable, but I hate it!

I must know chase down a set of 3.55-3.80 gears.

Does anyone have an opinion about my best bet? I am leaning towards the 3.55 range again. I just don't want to be back here again lookin for 3.80s.

BTW if anyone has a good used set of 3.55-3.80 8" gears our there let me know. I would actually prefer a non-posi differential. Less hassle.

CE
If you truly have a close ratio Toploader then you really need a 3.80 rear.