40 vs. 35 Profile Tire?

Kolby

Jul 18, 2010
VA
I currently have 285/35R18 rubber on the rear and they are super 'greasy' on hard launches. Feels like there just isn't enough sidewall flex. With my procharger kit going on this month ... it'll just get worse.

I plan on replacing them soon and was thinking about going for some 40 profile tires, but because of sizing ... maybe a 275/40R18.

Tire brand/compound aside, do you think this would hurt or help?

• Sponsors (?)

I think you'll hear different opinions on this. My opinion is that with street radial tires, sidewall flex while launching is negligible in the first place. I think the actual brand / compound is far more important than a 5 point bump in sidewall height.

+1

No. Treadwear and compound are going to be the most important things. What other mods do you have on your car? Gears? What HP do you plan to be at?

285/35/18 = H25.85 W11.22
275/40/18 = H26.66 W10.83

You are getting a taller in the 275, but less contact area. Street tires at normal PSI in these sizes are not going to flex much. You might see a better 60ft if you dropped the PSI down and got the car to launch on a prepped track.

Not sure what you do with your car, but I am going to be running running toyo r888's(r coupound though) on the street, and Hoosiers at the track at around 625rwhp. Another 2 good tires to look at might be the NT05 and Invos.

Thansk guys! I figured any difference would be insignificant.

The car is used for casual driving with occasional bursts. Another reason the 40 was tempting for the smooth ride. Planned power is going to be somewhere around 350 wheel.

I currently have Continental ConactSport 3 (285/35R18) and was looking about moving towards some Nitto NT 555. Both have ~300 treadwear the Nitto is also offered in a 285/40R18 ... but my gearing will be off even more. Meh ... we'll see.