400 Hp build N/A Then a bottle

• Sponsors (?)

I want to do a build similar to this
Part 1
Ford 4.6 Engine - Junkyard Jewel Ford 4.6l 2v - Engine Build Up - Hot Rod Magazine
Part 2
The Return of The 4.6 Junkyard Jewel - Hot Rod Magazine
Only i want to put a 150 shot of nitrous what will i have to do for the bottom end :shrug:

ummmm wow, you should probably do some reading on the 4.6 powerplant in your vehicle......... I see so many problems I don't even know where to start, so I won't. you can't be serious.....

what a first post... :shrug:

Just took a quick look through the article- it is 400 at the engine. There is no reason to go carb on our engines - hot rod magazine has practically endless resources and they can do projects like these. To the OP I would propose that you do many searchs. The basics for getting over 400 rwhp on a 2v motor are going to come down to-
1) proper fuel (pump and injectors)
2) forged rods and pistons
3)the power adder of your choice
4) a good tune it.

ummmm wow, you should probably do some reading on the 4.6 powerplant in your vehicle......... I see so many problems I don't even know where to start, so I won't. you can't be serious.....

what a first post... :shrug:

You know, these guys come on here to get advise, and pick the brain of people that have knowledge they don't. And a good portion of the time the advise is crap. Not everyone has $2000 to drop on a set of heads. Most of us make do with what we have. Maybe this guys going in a different direction than you would, but steer them in the right direction. Which may or may not be your own. You want them to come back to the web site don't make them feel stupid.

My advise? Throw away hot rod, its not worth wiping your rear with. Read the mustang mags, and shop smart. You would be surprised with what you can find. Don't know what year your car is, but PI swap, head porting, cams, are all tried and true tricks that won't break the bank. Power adders are great! What can you afford? Procharger won't trade kids, don't ask, I tried. Even threw in the wife and dog. They didn't even reply! You don't have to copy anyone else, but listen to what works. There are things that people all do, because they work. Take care.

God bless SVT:Zip2:

You know, these guys come on here to get advise, and pick the brain of people that have knowledge they don't. And a good portion of the time the advise is crap. Not everyone has $2000 to drop on a set of heads. Most of us make do with what we have. Maybe this guys going in a different direction than you would, but steer them in the right direction. Which may or may not be your own. You want them to come back to the web site don't make them feel stupid.

God bless SVT:Zip2:

You can't explain things to someone that doesn't have a base of information in their head already, or maybe you can but they won't get it. No one on here including myself is going to write an hour long blurb to facilitate that base when all the info is here for anyone that wants to know. If he can't do that (which he clearly hasn't by posting that up), then he's probably not even serious in the first place. Is all he has to do is a little reading and things will become clearer. And by things becoming clearer I mean for all intensive purposes virtually no one has done this. There will be alot of custom parts, super high costs......and a clearly negative dollar to hp ratio.

I'll be interested to see how many "how wide of tires can I do", "what exhaust sounds the best", and "is CAI worth it" threads you answer. :shrug:

Real cool build. Some guys have had real good luck out of a carb on a mod motor. If I was to do a 100% drag car it would be the way I would go. There is one or two cars on modularfords with carbs. 400 hp at the crank is doable either way. If I was to do this I would give Nick at modularheadshop a call, and tell him your plan.

Read the mustang mags, and shop smart.

That might be some of the worst advice I have every heard.

Stay far away from the magazines, get on as many forums, and do hours or archiving using the search thread in all the forums.

Thank you to the three guys who werent jerks about it. we wanted to go carb because my engine builder is a close friend and he knows nothing about fuel injected which means i would have to pay someone else to do costing more money. As of what hot stang said about tires and exhaust and cia and everyone else that doesnt think im serious about the build im going to be running the upr front and rear suspension set up with afco double adjustable coilovers on the back and single adjustable strange struts on the front probably a 12 inch tire and i honestly dont care how the exhaust sounds ill probably just go full 3 inch with flowmaster 40 series mufflers. I did take some time to read others posts like Tanks turbo build i think i might be interested in something like that instead of the previous route. I also have no idea how these motors work because i have alway worked with pushrod chevy motors 350 305 383 stroker etc.

Thank you to the three guys who werent jerks about it. we wanted to go carb because my engine builder is a close friend and he knows nothing about fuel injected which means i would have to pay someone else to do costing more money. As of what hot stang said about tires and exhaust and cia and everyone else that doesnt think im serious about the build im going to be running the upr front and rear suspension set up with afco double adjustable coilovers on the back and single adjustable strange struts on the front probably a 12 inch tire and i honestly dont care how the exhaust sounds ill probably just go full 3 inch with flowmaster 40 series mufflers. I did take some time to read others posts like Tanks turbo build i think i might be interested in something like that instead of the previous route. I also have no idea how these motors work because i have alway worked with pushrod chevy motors 350 305 383 stroker etc.

Don't feel bad. It isn't often that someone comes along with the absolute perfect example of what NOT to do to their car. If you are comfortable with the route you're taking, then more power to you. When discussing the PRO's and CON's of what to do to a 4.6L Mustang, people will now have your example to refer to on the CON's list :nice:

Don't feel bad. It isn't often that someone comes along with the absolute perfect example of what NOT to do to their car. If you are comfortable with the route you're taking, then more power to you. When discussing the PRO's and CON's of what to do to a 4.6L Mustang, people will now have your example to refer to on the CON's list :nice:

:jaw: :lol: that's some good stuff......

To the OP: You brought up the word cost. You do realize that what your talking about will "cost" more right? For what you're talking about cost should not be an issue to you because it will be disporportionally high vs alternatives. You're not talking about stuff that you can just go and buy from an off the shelf co like american muscle or something. Besides.....who cares what experience your engine builder has with carb vs fuel injected. It's irrelevant. So you have to spend $400 to take your car somewhere for a dyno tune? big deal. If......IF...he's competent he would steer you away from what your talking about. He can put heads, pistons, and all that stuff on for ya the same way regardless of a carb/efi set up.

Listen...... make sure your engine is healthy.

Slap on an entry centri for 3 grand or so (there are several, vortech, paxton, etc.) and then go from there. Going right to the turbo is an expensive and time intensive proposition as well. Turbo = higher maintenance (genreally) and if you can't do some wrenching that may not be a good avenue.

Yep, I would not do a turbo unless you know how to work on it. Most require some custom fabrication. They are down right badass, but not for everybody. Often, they make more tq than a roots blower, and more hp up high than a centri blower.

Your paxton and vortech are basically the same thing. They are built by the same company. Prochargers seem to make more hp at a similar PSI than the other 2. Generally(not always), the turbo car is going to be the fastest in a strait line. Followed closely by the centri blowers, and then the roots blowers.

What kind of maintenance are we talking about? I have a firend who specializes in turbocharged and supercharged mustangs he said he can help me out with tuning and stuff like that and help me out with the matenance. With that said i was looking at the stage one pony down turbo kit