408 Vs Aftermarket 302 Block

5point0stang88

Sep 9, 2011
Which one would be more cost effective? And hold reliable power? I am leaning toward the stroker.
I will write my plan for the car, but in my head is as follows.
Slap my gt40p heads, gt40 intake, tfs1 cam etc on til I order a turbo. (Boost bros) upper and lower control arms etc.
Turbo my gt40p setup 302 to 450rwhp and ride on that while I put together the 408 as basically all new engine with 205 Afr heads etc.
And possibly use same turbo to get the power to 700rwhp.
this car will be my daily on drag radial.
Does this sound like a good plan? I rather know now early cause I think about this every idle second I have in my mind. Thanks for reading
And you may notice, I don't start many threads at all because I research my ass off everyday. Every spare second. Everything has been done before and solved so no need to ask again. I like reading others posts just learning, and I get obsessed with researching.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

• Sponsors (?)

Good... then you won't mind that I've shut down the thread in the 94/95 Talk section. Multiple threads about the same thing is a pet peeve of mine. :O_o:

Regardless... Good luck with your project! :nice:

If you are going turbo, I would do the aftermarket 302 block. Even with the stronger 351 block, I think 700rwhp is too much. You can easily hit that number with a turbo and a 347, or even 363, if you use an aftermarket block and forged internals.

Joe

700rwhp gets expensive quick

You can get there either way you want, with that said aftermarket block would be the best way to go.

Stock 351 blocks are indeed stronger but I would not be comfortable pushing one to 700rwhp and expecting longevity.

Look at the cost of a aftermarket 8.2 deck block and a 9.5 deck block. Not a big difference... I'd go 9.5 dart block poked and stroked around 427" With a smaller trick flow head and a turbo...

Lol sorry bout the multiple post didn't think you'd catch it ;)

Hmmm true aftermarket block may be too much expense for my DD.
I am thinking the 408 with just 500 or 550 wheel HP should be better.
No power adder. I'm not gonna be tracking it, just cause mayhem around town lol :D
Oh and will look to shed weight, even if I have to take off the doors, hatch and hood

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Hey now, I was just saying. N/A first. A great build, like a strong foundation. I do like power adders, prefer super over turbo, but I wouldn't bother with a power adder unless I had a built, stroked, block. They're the cherry on top in a sense to me.

Why toss a turbo on a 302(?), you're setting your eyes low. If you're dedicated to a stock 302 block like me, a turbo is a last touch I would bother with when I've ran out of ways to free up and improve horsepower and ETs.

By toys, I don't mean they're useless or pointless or even lesser than a built engine. But there's so much more supporting mods and building that should be worried about before you 'toy' with a turbo/super/Nos. So forth.

For lets say the 2.3 guys, a turbo is all them, Gas effiecent, fast, versatile, best of both worlds. I like it. For a 5.0 and up, build it, then shove air down it's throat like no tomorrow.

if you consider the fact that youll most likely never come near the horsepower goals youve set (no offense to you, but 99% of people end up with a very badass car on paper that never makes its way to pavement) then an R block or a dart block are both a very large waste of money that could have been put towards a blower or a decent top end.

not to be negative but facts are facts, and i include myself in that 99%

but I wouldn't bother with a power adder unless I had a built, stroked, block. They're the cherry on top in a sense to me.
building a balls out N/A motor really puts you the opposite direction youd want to go to build a turbo motor making the same power. They require very different parts in some cases so the idea of building an N/A car to set the world on fire and THEN throwing a turbo on it is just silly to me. Im not saying i disagree, ive grown to love naturally aspirated cars more than anything, but you kind of have to chose early in your build.

Yes true I know it's a different set-up. Really wish I could have my cake and eat it too.
And I hear is easy to get 500+rwhp no problem N/A 408, so I wanna do that.
Yeah, I'd never put out enough power to need aftermarket block, not for a street car, so I made now more realistic goal.

Sent front my SGS3 Epic 4GLTE Touch

Yes true I know it's a different set-up. Really wish I could have my cake and eat it too.
And I hear is easy to get 500+rwhp no problem N/A 408, so I wanna do that.
Yeah, I'd never put out enough power to need aftermarket block, not for a street car, so I made now more realistic goal.

Sent front my SGS3 Epic 4GLTE Touch
with the right H/C/I combo 500rwhp isnt all that difficult going either route. its a matter of preference at this point. And everyone on this board has their own

Hey now, I was just saying. N/A first. A great build, like a strong foundation. I do like power adders, prefer super over turbo, but I wouldn't bother with a power adder unless I had a built, stroked, block. They're the cherry on top in a sense to me.

Why toss a turbo on a 302(?), you're setting your eyes low. If you're dedicated to a stock 302 block like me, a turbo is a last touch I would bother with when I've ran out of ways to free up and improve horsepower and ETs.

By toys, I don't mean they're useless or pointless or even lesser than a built engine. But there's so much more supporting mods and building that should be worried about before you 'toy' with a turbo/super/Nos. So forth.

For lets say the 2.3 guys, a turbo is all them, Gas effiecent, fast, versatile, best of both worlds. I like it. For a 5.0 and up, build it, then shove air down it's throat like no tomorrow.

I'm just giving you a hard time. Usually people that build big block setups are going in a very different direction than those that build turbocharged small blocks. Each has their place.

building a balls out N/A motor really puts you the opposite direction youd want to go to build a turbo motor making the same power. They require very different parts in some cases so the idea of building an N/A car to set the world on fire and THEN throwing a turbo on it is just silly to me. Im not saying i disagree, ive grown to love naturally aspirated cars more than anything, but you kind of have to chose early in your build.

only difference between a bad ass NA motor and a bad ass turbo motor is the cam and pistons.

only difference between a bad ass NA motor and a bad ass blower motor is the cam and pistons

only difference between a bad ass NA motor and a bad ass nitrous motor is... NOTHING

your going to need
Fuel system
Transmission setup
new rear unless thats done already
some way to manage the engine (efi or Carb)
Some way to the cool the engine
Some way to control spark

Then you can choose what motor you want to go with. Since you going for such big power everything needs to be upgraded, iv'e done it before I know. The turbo is cool if you want people to be impressed with you. The 408 is nice if you actually want to use the car.

used your looking 6-8k new your looking 10k and up

I'm just giving you a hard time. Usually people that build big block setups are going in a very different direction than those that build turbocharged small blocks. Each has their place.
I wasn't sure if it was like 'screw this idiot' or 'lol lemme toss some faces his way' so I was like. OPINIONs everywhere.

But hey, my final answer. still aftermarket stroked 351w!

Went back and read that it'll be DD too, I change my response, non-aftermarket 351w will do it. If you want 500+ on a 302 block you'll crack it soon enough. Go the safer route that supports the power and gets to the power easier.