408 W combo?

I have a 342 stroker with a SC trim Vortech. It dyno at 422 rwhp. I do a 12 even with that combo, not power shifting or high rpm launch. The block is a SVO Sportsman block with isn't much stronger than the OEM block.

I want to go faster, this no longer stills fast to me.

I started thinking about a 351 W based combo.
Here some items that a picked up in past few months.

Brand new 351 W roller block - stored for ten years
Victor jr. 60cc heads - new
Victor EFI intake
1.7 RR 7/16 stud Comp Cams - new
351 EFI billet distributor - new
Hawk 28oz SFI balancer - new
Cylotes timing chain and gears - new
BBK - 1 3/4" 351 swap long tube headers
Ford 351 swap oil pan - new

I haven't purcahsed a rotating assembly or a camshaft.
I'm thinking thay a N\A 408 would get me any faster than I'm now???
I drive 30 miles to the track and want to keep the car on pump gas and keep it streetable.

Questions - Would my SC trim Vortech blow enough for a 408?

Any suggestions that doesn't cost a fortune?

• Sponsors (?)

well what's your current combo. Wouldn'ty it be easier to make some changes llike heads, cam etc. to bump up the power? That's seeing as you already have a potent powerplant already. And more power isn't always the answer. What about suspension, slicks/tires etc? No use in having more power when you can't get it to the ground.

I agree. Since you all ready have them get a good block and put those Victor Jrs on the 347.

A 351 roller block while better than the late model 302 isn't all that great either.

Just for referance. My buddy has a carbed 408 with Victor Jrs and a mechanical cam and it runs 11.50s @ 120+ mph. That's babying it out of the hole becuase he is still running a T5 lol.

Might as well push that sportsman block and see what it can handle... there are plenty of guys running around that power level that have no problems on a stock block. plus the sportsman is still stronger. mabye not but much, but 600 horse shouldnt be a prblem from that block.

Putting a new motor is not going to make the car faster, do chassis work, and have the car scaled and professionally set up, with that power, with over 400 at the tires there is no reason you shouldnt be running mid to high 10's if the car was set up right.

Im making 390 at the wheels and i ran an 11.30 with a 1.6x 60 foot,granny shifting at 6k. dont get hung up on the RWHP numbers, thats only part of going fast.

I have a 342 stroker with a SC trim Vortech. It dyno at 422 rwhp. I do a 12 even with that combo, not power shifting or high rpm launch. The block is a SVO Sportsman block with isn't much stronger than the OEM block.

I want to go faster, this no longer stills fast to me.

I started thinking about a 351 W based combo.
Here some items that a picked up in past few months.

Brand new 351 W roller block - stored for ten years
Victor jr. 60cc heads - new
Victor EFI intake
1.7 RR 7/16 stud Comp Cams - new
351 EFI billet distributor - new
Hawk 28oz SFI balancer - new
Cylotes timing chain and gears - new
BBK - 1 3/4" 351 swap long tube headers
Ford 351 swap oil pan - new

I haven't purcahsed a rotating assembly or a camshaft.
I'm thinking thay a N\A 408 would get me any faster than I'm now???
I drive 30 miles to the track and want to keep the car on pump gas and keep it streetable.

Questions - Would my SC trim Vortech blow enough for a 408?

Any suggestions that doesn't cost a fortune?

go 427 and slap your vortech on it !

i think he's worried about pushing the current engine much farther and splitting the block

12 oh's with a stock block is no big deal! We have a junk yard 89 gt shortblock, w/ new bearings, e cam, performer rpm heads and a novi 2000 w/ renagade pulley going 10.30's w/ 1.40 60 ft times. off the trailer. When the car is driven to the track it would go 10.50 - 10.52 every time. That car made a little over 500 at the wheels and the short block has been in the car for over a year now.

12 oh's with a stock block is no big deal! We have a junk yard 89 gt shortblock, w/ new bearings, e cam, performer rpm heads and a novi 2000 w/ renagade pulley going 10.30's w/ 1.40 60 ft times. off the trailer. When the car is driven to the track it would go 10.50 - 10.52 every time. That car made a little over 500 at the wheels and the short block has been in the car for over a year now.

just thought I would add. I had my car dynoed last Saturday - 448 at the wheels. I run a 11.5's on stock suspension and a crappy T-5. Keep the set-up!