LuckyM95

Aug 11, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Hey guys, I had my engine built a while back and planned on running a Vortech V7 on it. Now after getting the car put together and driving it here and there, I am having second thoughts. To my knowledge the motor is pretty tame/mild. Per the specs below, what would I need to do to get it in the 600hp range? Would i have to do a lot? The car already has a water methanol kit that was intended for the blower, so I could raise the CR with no problems I hope. Btw, it is a street car that will see some track time but not much. Any help is appreciate.

Engine:
- Block: Dart SHP 4 bolt main 351W stroked
- Crankshaft: Scat 4340 Forged Cleveland
- Connecting rods: Molnar 6.250 billet
- Pistons: Ross (new)
- Rings: Total Seal (new)
- Support rails and locks: Ross (new)
- Heads: AFR 220 Renegade heads, 58CC 2.10/1.57 (used)
- Head studs: ARP (new)
- Rockers: T&D shaft mount (new)
- Gaskets: Fel-Pro (new)
- Push rods: Smith Brothers 3/8 7.5 (new)
- Lifters: Ford hydraulic (new)
- Camshaft: Custom Ground Camshafts (new)
- Intake: Edelbrock Victor 5.8L (new)
- Throttle body: Accufab 90mm (new)
- Water pump: Edelbrock (new)
- Oil pan: Moroso 7 quart (used)
- Oil pump: Melling high volume (new)
- Dyno tested at 536hp and 524ftlbs
- Compression ratio: 10.2:1

Block 431
-Bore - 4.1505
-Piston size - 4.147
-Clearance - 0.0035

Main Register
-Crank Pin - 2.7488
-Main Bearing - 2.7506
-Clearance - 0.0018

Rod Register - 2.2249
-Rod Pin - 2.0998
-Rod Bearing - 0.1233
-Clearance - 0.0018

Writ Pin - 0.927
-Rod Small End - 0.9275
-Piston Pin Hole - 0.9275
-Clearance - 0.0005

Ring Size
-Compression - 0.023
-Second - 0.017
-Oil Ring - 0.015

Main Torque Spec - 110 w/moly
Rod Torque Spec - 70 w/moly

Balance Sheet
-Rod Rotating 441
-Rod Reciprocating - 143
-Piston & Pin - 682
-2% Overbalance
-Total Bob Weight - 1426.674

-Pistons - Ross custom dished 4.150 66509b
-Rings - Total seal CR0690 35
-Crank Shaft - 4340 Forged Steel
-Maine Bearings - ACL Perfromance 12-1010H
-Rods - Molnar 6.200 H beam w/ ARP 2000 Bolts
-Rod Bearings - ACL Performance 663H

-Cam - Cam Motion Custom Grind
-Hydraulic Roller grd# XA242-380-250-370-15
-Core 3490037
-Duration AT .05 IN
-Intake
-rocker ratio - 1.6 Lash 23 24 25
-Exhaust
- rocker ratio 1.6 Lash 23 24 25
-Intake/Exhaust
- Lobe seperation 115.1 CAM DEG, valve overlap 16.4 CRANK DEG
-Intake
- valve open - 11.1 BTDC, Centerline 111.1 ATDC valve closed - 51.5 ABDC,
Duration - 242.5 Crank Deg lobe lift - .38 IN, Valve lift - .608 IN, lobe area - 31.03 IN DEG
-Exhaust
- valve open - 64.6 BBDC, Centerline 119.1 BTDC, valve closed - 5.4 ATDC, Duration - 250 CRANK DEG, lobe lift - .37012 IN, Valve lift - .59219 IN, lobe area - 31.57 IN DEG

-Ford Racing
-Cam bearings - Dura Bond Coated F-1T
-Timing Set - Engine Pro (Cloyes) billet double roller
-Oil Pump - Melling High volume
-Cylinder Heads - AFR 228 Renegade

• Sponsors (?)

So you made 530+ without forced induction? Your entire intake system is to small to get 600 n/a. Cam/compression is fairly mild for that goal also. Throw a shot of nitrous at it or install a Ysi blower on it. You'll have as much power as you want.

Oh and is that an engine dyno number or chassis? If it's a chassis, what transmission and type of dyno. An auto on a chassis dyno tends to eat about 20% of your flywheel horsepower etc so...

Methanol cools the intake temp. Won't do much for you without forced induction.

What are you having second thoughts about? You have a motor to support the extra air, why not go ahead and do it? I understand it's not cheap though.

Oh and is that an engine dyno number or chassis? If it's a chassis, what transmission and type of dyno. An auto on a chassis dyno tends to eat about 20% of your flywheel horsepower etc so...
Thank you A5literMan. It was an engine dyno. I have the V7 YSI already to throw on but I'm not sure if the motor is suited for it now. Wanted to ask you guys what you thought on the specs to see if I'd have to change some things first. The shop that built the motor is apparently not in business anymore so I can't ask them what they would say.

Reactions: 5 users
In my opinion, the compression is a touch high. Doable, but you would need to keep the boost low to be able to run around on pump gas, light to light. That seems like a solid build though, stout enough to support the boost. The method will help keep things cool, just not sure if you want to worry about keeping that thing topped off.

Joe

Reactions: 1 user
The car will absolutely love the blower. pulley it for 5-6 psi, and make sure whoever tunes it pulls timing out as the boost rolls in. Or simply keep the timing moderate 26 to 28 degrees total with 6 pounds of boost I wouldn't doubt that you could probably break 700 on the engine dyno

Reactions: 1 users
Big no no #1 don't pull hot air from the engine compartment.

I see no MAF what ecu are you running? MS, BS, Haltech?

With a better intake you could pick up quite a bit. however your cam is cut as a bona-fide blower cam...

THE MATH'Z
14.7+6psi=20.7
20.7÷14.7= 1.408
530hp×1.408= 746hp.

Soo by the math you should make 746hp at the flywheel with only 6psi...

Reactions: 1 user
What head gaskets are on the motor? Fuel system components? I see no issue at all running this with the YSI, personally I wouldn't hesitate to put 14-16 lbs of boost to this thing to see 1,000 hp, that is so long as the the fuel system is capable.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you guys... Regarding the air filter in the engine compartment; yes, it is temporary until I go with either the blower or go with a cold air system. The rule system is a combo of an Aeromotive tank and A1000 pump, bosch 120lbs injectors and a Holley Dominator EFI computer system. 120 is too large for NA but the intent was to throw the blower on. What intake do you all recommend? Something that is low profile because as you can see, too much money went into the body to go purchase another hood. lol

If adding the blower just keep the intake. You'll make more than enough power. With decent boost you'll see 700+hp(all depends on how much you spin the blower-1000hp is possible with that blower). If you were going for maximum power I'd recommend an Edelbrock Super Vic efi intake with an elbow but really unnecessary for your intended use.

Reactions: 1 users
What head gaskets are on the motor? Fuel system components? I see no issue at all running this with the YSI, personally I wouldn't hesitate to put 14-16 lbs of boost to this thing to see 1,000 hp, that is so long as the the fuel system is capable.

Beat me too it. The meth is there obviously planning for the compression with the pressure going through the motor. Id put the ysi on and let it eat. If not and you decide you want to sell it shoot me a pm with some info on it. i am looking for one....