428 engine for sale.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure if the 428s were like the 427s in that they usually need to be sleeved if they have already had an .030" overbore. Thats something to consider if it needs a rebuild. Other than that, $600 doesnt seem out of line for a complete longblock. high/unknown-mileage 5.0s usually hang around $400-600, intake to oil pan. Too bad it isnt a 428CJ, but if it was, it wouldnt be $600.

I think I'd walk away from it. everything I see about it says it's more likely to be a truck 360 motor. The casting number he provided for the block doesn't mean SQUAT. The heads are standard 68-72 FE non-CJ variety. All 428s came with a four barrel carb. The one in the picture is a two barrel. The power steering setup is from a truck. The oil filter adapter is from a truck (filter points out instead of down).
I seriously doubt it's really a 428. Ask for pictures of the flexplate. The 428 flexplate should have an extra weight welded to it. Ask him to pull the oil pan and send you a picture of the crankshaft casting number. For a 428 it should read "1U" (standard 428 and early CJs), "1UB" (later CJs), and "1UA" (all SCJs). Let us know what happens.

I agree too, there's nothing there that id's it as a 428. Could be a 352,360, 390, 410 as well. And while $600 isn't a bad price, there's no way to tell it's a 428. That block casting # also was used on 390's. I've got one in my shop. ( and I'll sell it for $500)

I agree too, there's nothing there that id's it as a 428. Could be a 352,360, 390, 410 as well. And while $600 isn't a bad price, there's no way to tell it's a 428. That block casting # also was used on 390's. I've got one in my shop. ( and I'll sell it for $500)

ok i talked to the guy and found out that this was a running engine but the problem was that when he was taking out the bolts from the intank and the heads 4 bolts broke in the heads so you cant take them out

lookout4me said:
ok i talked to the guy and found out that this was a running engine but the problem was that when he was taking out the bolts from the intank and the heads 4 bolts broke in the heads so you cant take them out

Sounds like a load of crap to me. I've taken apart something around 100 FEs in my lifetime. Most of these had been sitting for quite some time and in wrecking yards. I've never had ONE head bolt break off, let alone four on the same engine. He's a flat out liar. Even if you could give him the benefit of the doubt and believe that's true, that's still reason to back away from the deal. Four broken head bolts in the same engine has to relate to serious internal damage. Did you ask him to pull the oil pan and send you pictures of the casting number on the crank or is that stuck too?

NO i got in an agument with the guy and he told me if you what it its here if you dont leave me alone.
he told me if came off of a granada van (WTF IS THAT) he said that 5 people came and did not want it. so i thought it was not worth it and asked him to drop the price and he said no the price is firm.
so i backed off.