Build Thread 429MII's Build Thread

I really wish I could use the hood on the orange car, but I hate spending 700 bucks with shipping on a hood only to have to cut it open and raise the back of the scoop part to clear. oh and I was just joking on the plywood comment a few posts back lol

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Just started mocking up the crossmember reinforcements and tubular lower control arms. My transmission arrives tomorrow from David Kee. Subframe connectors supposed to show up too. I better get busy. I will post some picks of the control arm and subframe mock ups soon, Just need to upload the pics to my computer first.

Reactions: 1 users
Some pics. Got my trans finally. Started fabbing the crossmember reinforcements and lower A arm adapting.

Attachments

• 20190402_184212.jpg
    20190402_184212.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 190
  • 20190402_184249.jpg
    20190402_184249.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 20190402_184347.jpg
    20190402_184347.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 186
  • 20190402_194007.jpg
    20190402_194007.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
I haven't seen that tubular A arm, doing away with the rear mounted strut rods, Nice!
Do you have to can the bolt in cross member behind it?
Stumpy subframe connectors, ( what? no stumpy's traction bars?) I want to see pics of this install.
And look at that new DK trans in the box, its just like Christmas I tell ya.

This Mu2 has and is getting some nice stuff hooked to it. Gonna be a bad ass stang when done.
I can't wait, need more update pictures.

Yeah I wanted to lose all the strut rod stuff for header clearance. So these a arms from Full Tilt Street Rods. They are meant for aftermarket crossmember so a little tweaking is required but they will be sweet and strong.
The lower bolt normally just has a gusset but I am going to gusset and support in double shear. Need to make the bracket, It will go where the big strut rod bracket used to bolt on and solidify that area as well as support the rear of the new a-arm.
The design of these arms means the rack stays in the same place instead of having to space it out for a-arm clearance.
I am reinforcing the crossmember with doubler plates, although technically there is less weight on it now than with the 302 due to the massive engine set back. My car had a/c also so my front springs are really stiff, and I may need to lop a coil out for proper stance.
My whole rear suspension is Calvert racing. Mono leaf springs and the Calvert traction system which is absolutely the best leaf spring set up for stick cars, so thats why I have that, Its an engineered and fully adjustable rear traction link system.
It will be the only Big block 4 speed mustang II in the world, so I have to do it right.

It will be the only Big block 4 speed mustang II in the world, so I have to do it right.

Heck Ya!
The Calvert set up is sweet. The strutless a arm is making room for big headers. STUFF IS HAPPENING!
My enthusiasm is thru the roof.:D SCJ~M2

Thanks so much for the enthusiasm. I am so used to getting dissed for working on a II (not here, but everywhere else) that it is nice to hear someone is interested in the project. I've had people say it is a Death Trap, or "Pinto" lots of hate out there. It only makes me want to make this car ever badder. I advertised the Cobra aluminum 13" wheels on Craigslist, and I actually had people sending me emails telling me I can't call them Cobra wheels, because real Cobras don't have 13" wheels. I can't wait to put all the haters to shame.

used to getting dissed for working on a II

Haters going to hate, just forget em!

've had people say it is a Death Trap,

With a 429 it might be, after all the first one was named Sudden Death.
Here it is in white with twin turbos.
Sudden (24).jpg
I know you researched this one extensively:cool:

actually had people sending me emails telling me I can't call them Cobra wheels, because real Cobras don't have 13" wheels.

I'm sure they are 'experts' who just spend there time dissing craigslist adds ( and living in moms basement )
Didn't some of the early 63 monico king cobras have 13 wheels the first season, IDK
The opec embargo and disco backlash tarnished these well selling cars.
I like mine and Yours is going to be neat. Rarer then hens teeth these days.

Just reply to their ignorant emails with this link:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/ford-mustang-cobra-history

Then it's just their bias you can't do anything about. The thing is, I don't hear much of this type of $#!+ when I'm out in public with my car, mainly just the haters on the internets - and we all know how many "experts" there are in cyberspace. They're all morons and think that their ideas or opinions are the only one's that matter....

Yeah,,I'm kinda used to it now so it don't phase me much. Still,,, nice to be in a group that likes the Mustang II for what it is.

See, for me it doesn't HAVE to have a 429 or 460 or coyote or something special to be cool. I just happened to always want to build one that way. I like em all.

I loved my little 77 Cobra with the 302 and the crappy tin foil 4 speed. The car was great. And snappy too even with the stock 302. If it weren't for the week 4 speed I would not have had any problems with that car. One of my very favourites and I've had a lot of cool cars.
Mostly I find the haters are the guys with belly button cars or a lot of money and a poor attitude.

more pics coming shortly, I got the first lower a arm in with all the brackets and reinforcements ready to weld up. Just tacked in right now.

Reactions: 3 users
I get more compliments on my II than almost anything else I've ever owned - I don't own a late-model but have driven them as rentals and people just ignore them, there's nothing unique about being able to afford a lease payment on a Bimmer lol. People remember the II - almost everyone I knew owned one at some time - and are happy to see one preserved. Can't tell you how many strangers walking by have come up the driveway to talk, and how the cuties (way too young for me) always wave when it rumbles by.

I finished defending my love for it a long time ago, anyone who doesn't live and let live when it comes to harmless hobbies and wants to detract from someone else's happiness isn't my kind of person. Life's too short to waste on people like that. I kept my 2.8 Cologne V6 too for the heck of it. Build what makes you happy.

Reactions: 2 users
In Germany the Mustang II is very unknown car, so people are interesed because it is exotic (much more the the early stangs) and they doesn't know about the bad reputation in the USA. If i tell them, they can't believe it.
Your build is killer!

Thanks so much for the enthusiasm. I am so used to getting dissed for working on a II (not here, but everywhere else) that it is nice to hear someone is interested in the project. I've had people say it is a Death Trap, or "Pinto" lots of hate out there. It only makes me want to make this car ever badder. I can't wait to put all the haters to shame.

Nothing is more delicious than the tears of salty fox-body and S197 owners at the drag strip.

I get more compliments on my II than almost anything else I've ever owned... and how the cuties (way too young for me) always wave when it rumbles by.

I finished defending my love for it a long time ago...

This has 100% been my experience. I've had three IIs, three fox-bodies, and two S197s. The IIs got ALL of the attention, ESPECIALLY from the ladies. Even my ragged-out harvest gold Ghia with the peeling paint, trashed interior, no carpet, and Flowmaster Super 44s with dumps had all the carhops at Sonic wanting to go for a ride back in the day. I'd drive it and the 2010 GT there on back-to-back days, and in the 2010 GT I was freaking invisible.

IMG00021.jpg
IMG00045.jpg

Even I was dumbfounded by it, but I learned NOT TO QUESTION IT!!! :rlaugh:

It's why I still have a II and don't have an S197 anymore. The S197 is a superior car in every single way, but who gives a damn if the ladies don't dig it?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
esab em215 rebel. those plates are all now fully welded. I'm not a great welder lol, but the penetration is good and I probably didn't need to fully weld them all, but makes it strong so that is good. I wish I could make the pretty welds but I just don't get enough practice.