Progress Thread 43 years later

• Sponsors (?)

My speedometer stuck a while back too. First thing I did was replace the cable, that didn't take care of it. I imagine the gear mechanism needs lubed. I just installed a different speedometer so I can't confirm that that's all it needs, but you might try that first.

Reactions: 1 users
My speedometer stuck a while back too. First thing I did was replace the cable, that didn't take care of it. I imagine the gear mechanism needs lubed. I just installed a different speedometer so I can't confirm that that's all it needs, but you might try that first.
While I wait for the replacement cable to show up; I'm going to take the cluster out today and see if I can get it apart cleaned, lubricated, and back together without wrecking anything. Just out of curiosity did you use an aftermarket speedo or a donor part?

While I wait for the replacement cable to show up; I'm going to take the cluster out today and see if I can get it apart cleaned, lubricated, and back together without wrecking anything. Just out of curiosity did you use an aftermarket speedo or a donor part?
It was from a donor, so it's highly likely I'll run into this again. :shrug:

It's highly likely that my problem is just the cable. Here's what the speedo looked like.
IMG_3325.JPG
I cleaned it up and gave it some white lithium on the gears and put it back together.
This process gave me the chance to clean the faces of the gauges and the plastic covers for the first time since I've owned the car.
I'll probably take the cable out today in anticipation of the delivery of the new one tomorrow. Then I'll be working on Audio.

Reactions: 1 user
Took the Cobra II out for a little spin towards Iowa and got on it a little bit. Then after I slowed down I noticed my speedometer was stuck at 110. I'm not sure if it's the cable or the speedo itself. The car is sitting in the garage right now and it say it's doing 45. :)
Now you’re just bragging about the top speed of your car and how it looks fast just sitting there.
:stick:

Now you’re just bragging about the top speed of your car and how it looks fast just sitting there.
:stick:
Ha! That's funny. I guess it sounded that way but the speedo just kept climbing up and up and stuck there. The cable is original equipment and the the needle was bouncing around for a long time. It dropped from 110 to 45 when I pulled into the garage and shut it down. Gotta have a working speedometer in this town. If the speed is not posted the limit is 20.

Ha! That's funny. I guess it sounded that way but the speedo just kept climbing up and up and stuck there. The cable is original equipment and the the needle was bouncing around for a long time. It dropped from 110 to 45 when I pulled into the garage and shut it down. Gotta have a working speedometer in this town. If the speed is not posted the limit is 20.
A gps speedometer phone app might help while you are collecting parts. Be aware most have some lag time.

• Useful
I replaced the cable and went out this morning to give it a test...NO GO! I'm now looking for a replacement speedometer. Not too sure what is the best one to get. I really liked the old 120MPH one though. I'm sure the square interface on the speedo with the cable must be completely rounded off.

You have done a great job! I hope the car will delight you for a very long time. Beautiful classic salon !!! And how it shines, a new paint is always a breath of air for me in motor trader, I love this shine) We are waiting for photos from the vacation. It's always nice to see yard work in real life!

• Hell Yeah!
Wheres the fresh picture of the fresh paint !?!?!
*&%$& *^$#@#$ tired of waiting

Im gonna start posting stupid animal pictures
you'll know ill do it

Wheres the fresh picture of the fresh paint !?!?!
Im gonna start posting stupid animal pictures
you'll know ill do it

Ya where is picture of zee cute little car?
OIP.IebGeIXnYtm5y58eT43sfAHaIy.jpeg

We like beer too Ya! But zee new paint, where zee be?
609ba09e87b01d4b6f6ed379ba023694.jpg

WE was hoping you would rides us around zee little bit.

tenor-2.gif

Die Besten CobraII Auf Dich..Machshnell!

• Love
  • Haha