460 vs 351w in the SN95 budget.

Hi guys, I'm from Russia so sorry for my english.
I own a 1995 GT and am a fan of classic American cars and large displacement manual gearboxes.

In Russia, we have very few motors that can be found for a swap.
Mostly 351w and 460 from ford econoline come across. Their power is about 200-250 horsepower. And they come across in the announcements randomly. That is, the choice is limited.
Please tell me what budget I need to rely on for parts in the USA if I would like to swap one of these motors and get about 350 horsepower and a manual transmission?
What mechanical gearbox can the 460 be connected to?

Can I find an injector for the 460 for my purposes? Or just a carb?
351 and 460 Are the engine blocks from econoline the same blocks that were installed on the 429 boss/Ford GT40 and Saleen S351/Cobra R respectively?

if I come across 460 instead of 351 is it worth bothering. How much worse will the car handling?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes and I really like the dull gurgling sound from my 302 with flowmaster exhaust, can the 460 sound the same?

There is my car:
sEAAAgM-YOA-960.jpg

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 3 users
Sorry guys, I don't understand what a limited budget is. Is it possible to approximate figures. We can think in different categories. For some, $ 2,000 is a lot, but for someone, $ 30,000 is not enough.
How much do you think a full set of parts would cost in the US for a swap like this guy?

In Russia, the problem is not to choose a engine, but to find at least some motor of this size! Whether it's 351W or 460W, there isn't much to choose from. You need to buy what is indicated in the advertisement. It may well be offered only 1 engine for the whole country!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi_PD6G49rU

Last edited:
So it's not a real saleen, ok, my vote is for the 351 windsor engine, you can stroke it huge by large, it's lighter than a 460 and it will be a less expensive build.
As far as how much it would cost :shrug: look for swap kits on the interwebs.

When budget is “ subjective”, it’s a no brainer. A351 dart block can be made to displace 454 cubic inches internally, and only take up the space of the external dimensions of a 351. The weight difference between the two is significant, with the windsor weighing at 510 lbs. and the cast iron headed 460 weighing in @720 lbs.
There is very little to do to make a 351 fit the car, requiring only the right headers and an oil pan, otherwise, the engine is a drop in. The aftermarket choices are numerous. Conversely the 460 doesn’t just drop in, forcing a re-think on the brakes, as the power brake booster will more than likely not fit. It’s heavy, it’ll require the heavy Hydro-boost system to bring decent brakes into the picture bringing the weight difference up closer to 300 pounds.
The transmission choices are similar,..While not as easy to find a 385 bell for whatever trans versus a SBF, it’s not that difficult.
When weight and fitment are not as important, Now days the justification for putting a 460 in one of these cars comes when considering a stroker kit for the engine, and going big. A 460 will easily accommodate 540 c.i w/o doing anything more than buying the right kit, and boring the engine .060 over.
However, when taking Saleen design objectives into consideration,..putting an extra 300lbs on the front end goes the wrong way.

Last edited:
  • PlusOne
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Back on college, had a buddy that had a notchback with a 460 NA car. He used an aluminum plate to attach the entire front cut to fit mounts. I was inside bay with a sledge smacking out the tunnel so the C6 would fit. The hood closed just enough with the offenhauser manifold and air cleaner was flush with the hood, so nearly inconspicuous. That car looked like :poo:, but ran like a banshee. Can't count how many feelings that damn thing hurt.

If 350HP is your goal, you can accomplish that with what you have if you take your 302 and bore/stroke it to a 347/363. A good set of heads like Trick Flow 11R heads will achieve and exceed that goal easily.

If you still want the larger motor, definitely go 351. You can even go with a stroker option for more potential power. It's almost a direct drop in and you can use your current EFI. You'll need to source headers, accessory brackets, a new intake manifold (the lowers are wider) and some other odds and ends, but its almost a direct swap...almost. I think it will even clear the hood you have.

I wouldn't even consider the 460. Too much hassle to swap, too heavy, and too damn big in the engine bay.

Cost is relative. Guys have done budget 351 swaps here in the US for cheap. $1-2K. Then, folks have done 351 stroker swaps with good Aluminum heads and higher end parts for $10K. T

I'll also support the 351W swap for your car as the 1995 Cobra R came with a 351 in it. But also, a Dart SHP 302 can support up to 385 CID if you wanted but the more common stroker for that block is a 363 which I have and love.