470rwhp...Stock Block Finally Went

or so I think..... A blue charger rt was coming up behind me before an on ramp to the highway. It was a 360 turn on ramp, 2 lanes wide. I let the guy pass me in his lane and then I blew his doors off. I then slowed to let him catch up for maybe just a quick romp on the gas.....When I shifted 3 to 4 the rear of the car just started hopping. New it wasn't my 750mi old viper spec tranny. Car was dead, pulled over to the side of the road and that was that.

Interesting thing though. (and it's at a speed shop right now, diagnosis coming monday). I saw no smoke and it spit no oil. When these engine's go don't the usually shoot a rod through the block or something? Also for some strange reason when the tow showed up the battery was dead. Very Very strange being the car started just fine 5 mins prior. I can't really give anymore instight to a bang or anything because I was BLASTING some country. My whole thinking is that the engine is siezed. The shop thought it was out of the norm as well. I mean....what else could have caused the wheel to lock up like that when shifting 3 to 4. Car was running perfect.

If it is blown I'm going to do a 5.0 or 5.4 ( I want a 5.4 but it appears that HPS is out of business or something so no intake would work well without major hood issues). I may also get a precision hat to run dual pumps, replace my novi head unit with a 2000... Goal with the novi 1000 and fuel system as it sits right now, just swapping in a 5.0 shop said I should throw down 550-600 range. Upgrade the fuel and Novi and add another 100 to that figure. Just the main thing I want is more grunt...so I know I need more cubes.

gosh I wish they were still making that intake for the 5.4l :(

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry to hear that. These blocks seem to be pretty stout for what they are. I actually always though you had a built block and was already pushing 600ish. I guess you kept the Novi at around 9lbs? Post pictures of your build :)!!!!!

no built block.....it is, possibly was the weak link in my set up. My car ran so good I figured why strip it down and fix what isn't broke.

My novi was a tad over 12lbs.

I haven't been on here much because I just moved to the coast but in the last week I had my wheels powdercoated black. I don't have a better pic and won't be taking any that soon but here's the only one I have that I sent to the shop that did the wheels

DSC05194.jpg

Wait what? You were still running the stock motor (stock rods, pistons, etc)??

Im surprised it handled 470rwhp this long. Not bad.

I dont really understand why you would want a 5.4. That swap is not very popular for a lot of reasons. Weight being one of them.

You should also re-think your fuel setup just a little because Fore went under a few weeks ago so finding one of those hats is going to be a little tough. However lethal is trying to fill the void left by fore so hopefully that will give you another option. I would go return if it were me.

I dont really understand why you would want a 5.4. That swap is not very popular for a lot of reasons. Weight being one of them.

You should also re-think your fuel setup just a little because Fore went under a few weeks ago so finding one of those hats is going to be a little tough. However lethal is trying to fill the void left by fore so hopefully that will give you another option. I would go return if it were me.

The shop I have the car at has a hat sitting there. He said he can also get plenty more from lethal.

And.....I'm not sold on what I want to do yet. The reason I like the 5.4 is the low down tq that can be gained. Getting out of my vette this car just feels so gutless in normal driving situations. And before someone says just get a PD blower, I'm not doing that right now. It would essentially double what I'm spending right now and I'm just not going to do that in the near future. On a side note if someone knows a place to get a good deal on a new or good condition used NOVI 2000 head unit let me know.

That is definitely strange. If the engine is locked up, my guess it is because of the bearings. These engines sometimes disintegrate oil pumps for various reasons... usually putting strange vibrations on the crank from underdrives without a damper, or possibly from too much belt tension on the crank pulley? What does your crank pulley and belt arrangement look like?

My bet is the oil pump went, then it didn't take long for the engine to lock up the bearings at full load.