4bbl 2.3L

Red

Founding Member
Oct 11, 1999
Rahway, NJ
long time member/2.3Ler.

anyone here who has run a 4bbl carb setup on the 2.3L? if so, which intake did you use? the oval port Offy? knife edged efi lower with adapter plate? i know a worked over efi lower flows the best. this would most likely be put on an aftermarket head (i know of Esslinger, any others out there? besides the Volvo swap?)

i'm currently planning on building another Fox body, '79-81 preferably. still deciding if i want to go the carb'ed 2.3L route or swap in something else.

• Sponsors (?)

Most people that used a 4bbl used the Offenhauser intake.

It would work with the oval ports and D-port heads though it didnt match the D-port head all that well. The normal carb was the Holley 390crm 4bbl.

Most people now use a ported E6 EFI ported lower intake with a carb adapter. Nothing else flows better unless you move to a sidedraft Weber setup.

Racer Walsh sells a 2bbl adapter to bolt on a Holley 2300 series 350cfm or 500cfm 2bbl.

See about getting a 2.5L crank on Ebay ($265+/_) and the small journal bearing spacers from Racer Walsh.

Get someone who is good to port and polish the head and a good cam and a longtube heder and you could get some decent power out of that.

Boport has been able to get over 200cfm on intake and IIRC over 170cfm on exhaust but unfortunately he is backed up til at least first of the year.

already have a RW Stage 2 cam to start off with, longtube, a Flex-a-lite Black Magic e-fan, full length Kenny Brown boxed subs, plus a bunch of other odds & ends i never installed on my '84. i'll pick up a short block in the following weeks.