4cyl T5

SpectralSamurai said:
Here's a question though, if the 5.0 block produces 225 HP and 235 ft/lbs tq (IIRC for the 87-89 fox at least), why would it matter so much if you mated a modded 2.3 turbo to it? WIth basically light modification you can get it to 250 HP and roughly the same torque, and at that point you already outdo the stock 5.0, so why would it matter so much? Or maybe it has to do with when the max HP/tq is reached?

Good question :nice:

I think it was SVOEric on SVOCA that posted some stats on the 2.3T SVOCA and the 85.5-86 SVOS made 240-248 Torque. The only thing I can think of is that a 2.3T want make that much torque until its in the boost which on my car its 3k. While a 5.0L may make more torque at lower than 3k. Now that is just an opinion and a guess.

• Sponsors (?)

You can put the 4cyl trans behind the 5.0. You are going to have around a 2.97 first gear and a .75 5th. If youv'e got any kind of gear in the back, you will run out of first gear in fifty feet!!! Been there and done it!!

SpectralSamurai said:
Here's a question though, if the 5.0 block produces 225 HP and 235 ft/lbs tq (IIRC for the 87-89 fox at least), why would it matter so much if you mated a modded 2.3 turbo to it? WIth basically light modification you can get it to 250 HP and roughly the same torque, and at that point you already outdo the stock 5.0, so why would it matter so much? Or maybe it has to do with when the max HP/tq is reached?

5.0's make 225HP and 300 ft-lb of Torque

The 85.5-89 5-spd tranny from the V8 Mustangs is only rated at 275 ft-lbs of torque. SO Ford from the factory put a tranny in that was rated less than what the engine actually made.

Mustang5L5 said:
5.0's make 225HP and 300 ft-lb of Torque

The 85.5-89 5-spd tranny from the V8 Mustangs is only rated at 275 ft-lbs of torque. SO Ford from the factory put a tranny in that was rated less than what the engine actually made.

Which year of mustang came with the 225hp and 300ft-tq? Its like someone once said not all 5.0Ls was created equal. The 87-92' had 225hp and the 93' Cobra had 235hp ( the 93 GT was the same as a 85.5 SVO). Here is a few sites on the history of the T-5 and Hp of the fox body Mustangs. The cool thing is look at how close the 85-86' 5.0Ls and SVOs where on power :) Theres a really good story on that and why the 86' SVOs had more power than was rated at but thats another story. A hint is this there was a certain car buyers that didn't like a 4 cyl with as much power as a -- car on the road :) Which is why the 87 SVO was killed.

http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/t5_history.htm

http://www.automotive-links.com/mak/for/mus.htm

I can't get that link to work no matter what I try just do a search for,"79-93 mustang horse power." look for "mustang,Ford mustang,Ford mustangs, Mustang links." then half way down that list is " Hisitory of Mustabg Performace." then click on Fox bodies.

Pro-Hawk said:
Which year of mustang came with the 225hp and 300ft-tq?

For the most part 87-93's are

'93 is a weird year. Ford changed their rating system. The 5.0 is NOT 205HP. It's slightly underrated. Some '93 owners have dynoed their cars and seen about 220-225HP flywheel. Also, '93 cobra owners dyno their cars and find they are really about 270HP flywheel.

My '85 is rated at 210HP and 275TQ, but she's getting bumped up in power :)

Mustang5L5 said:
'93 is a weird year. Ford changed their rating system. The 5.0 is NOT 205HP. It's slightly underrated. Some '93 owners have dynoed their cars and seen about 220-225HP flywheel. My '85 is rated at 210HP and 275TQ, but she's getting bumped up in power :)

Its like the 85.5 -86' SVOs they are rated differently but nothing had changed on the two cars :) I think in 93' Ford probly was under fire for something so they posted the Hp rating less for the 93' than they should have been. Auto companies are big about lying or looking for a loop holes in the system to get a high hp cars aproved, God bless them :flag: