4cyl to 8cyl - state inspection/insurance

xplo89gt

Founding Member
Jul 14, 1999
Boston, MA
Lately I have been contemplating on building a side project car using a 4 cyl. I see a lot of them with low miles and good bodies for cheap.

Do insurance companies car as long as you tell them? And what about getting an inspection? Obviously when the guy enters a vin it expects a 4cyl. This is just an idea and it may not play through. What other big conversions do you need other than engine, tranny, rear end, brakes... how dif is the suspension?

• Sponsors (?)

well in tx, you tell the insurance company your vin and they think it is still a 4 banger so you get 4 banger rates. also where i am they don't look under the hood.

i know i had to go through alot to get mine insured.they kept rambling on about it being altered and did i switch vin tags.i finally convinced them and they gave me insurance.i don't know about inspection,i just wouldn't say anything about it to them and let them check it.act surprised and tell them you bought it like that if they ask.

ratrapp said:
i know i had to go through alot to get mine insured.they kept rambling on about it being altered and did i switch vin tags.i finally convinced them and they gave me insurance.i don't know about inspection,i just wouldn't say anything about it to them and let them check it.act surprised and tell them you bought it like that if they ask.

do you have an insurance adjuster come out and check your cars out before you can get insured, because that would suck. i am glad they don't do that here.

I am in the process of doing a swap in Massachusetts. What i did was as soon as i bought the 4 cyl car, i went to the registry and titled the car in my name. The teller asked 4,6, or 8 cyl and i told her it was presently a 4, but i am swapping to an 8 cyl....she said no problem and she put "8cyl" on the new title, along with the new color i was to paint the car. I haven't dealt with insurance yet, but my insurance guy has been with our family for 25 years...i'm sure he'll fudge it if necessary. As for insp. stickers, i got a friend for that. Most inspectors don't give a shyt anyway!

ok sounds good..

ImporterEater, have you documented or taken pictures of your progress? I'd like to see it if you did. I still don't know if I'm going to do it yet, as I have never swapped an engine and tranny. I have however installed my heads, cam, etc, and all other bolt ons.

I would buy it, register it, insure it, then do the swap. My wife wanted to know why I did not cancel my insurance while I was doing my swap. I didn't want them to ask me to bring the car by to verify it's condition prior to reinsuring it.

I am sure they would of denied coverage, or jacked my rates up if they saw it.

hood2.jpg

The cowl hood was required to clear the taller 393 stroker.

hoodfront2.jpg

This was the family car car till this year.