4R70W - AODE help...

cefolar

May 18, 2007
I wanted to get some opinions on a driveability problem I am having shaking out my 47 Ford (with 4.6L DOHC and 4R70W). The car runs great, but the shift points seem to be really funky.

At WOT it shifts great first-second...etc. It is at cruising speed (like around 30-35 MPH) it seems to drop into O/D or Third (with O/D disabled) and takes a good throttle stab to get it to kick down a gear. Especially when approaching a hill - it lumbers a bit and then a stab of the throttle gets it to kick down and take off.

Just wondered if you guys thought this was normally behavior for this transimission or if I should be checking sensors somewhere. I haven't pulled any codes yet, but can...

• Sponsors (?)

yeah this is pretty common. It often likes to preemptively upshift causing a sort of bogging reaction which is amplified if you have torque converter shudder. You can always lock out 4th (O/D) with the button, but with hills while under 40mph it will still wanna try to shift up into 3rd and a tuner like SCT's mph variability wont help too much w/ part throttle and going up a hill. It mostly helps under hard or WOT.

yeah this is pretty common. It often likes to preemptively upshift causing a sort of bogging reaction which is amplified if you have torque converter shudder. You can always lock out 4th (O/D) with the button, but with hills while under 40mph it will still wanna try to shift up into 3rd and a tuner like SCT's mph variability wont help too much w/ part throttle and going up a hill. It mostly helps under hard or WOT.

Good to know that this is "normal" as crappy as it can be sometimes. I guess the best option is to just run WOT at all times :lol:

the stock tune is set to shift into 4th at 35mph. i never had a problem with it on my car. my car would still pull uphill. now if i wanted to downshift, yeah, you have to give it some gas. it's just Ford trying to achieve better gas mileage by staying in 4th gear. a tune will make a world of difference.