5.0 Cobra or 4.6 Cobra...

utvolman99

Oct 12, 2007
All, I am not wanting to get into a full blown 5.0 vs. 4.6 debate (I have never visited this site but am sure it happens a lot) but I am in the market for a 94 - 98 Cobra and am torn between getting a newer car with less miles and getting a 5.0. I am very familiar with the windsor motor and know that it is rock solid. I just don't know that much about the 4.6 except that with the DOHCs on the Cobra they have more power stock.

What are the advantages of the 94 - 95 Cobra as compared to the 96 - 98 Cobra? I am going tomorrow to look at a 98 with 55K miles for $11,500. If I like it I may pick it up but I wanted to see what you guys thought first.

One advantage I can think of is that I would have NO problem overhauling the 5.0 but I am not sure about the 4.6.

I am also posting this same question on the 5.0 board.
Thanks for your help

• Sponsors (?)

My buddy has a mildy modded 93 cobra, we're not sure, but we think it has some sort of cam, and 4.10s. That thing actually pulls very very hard. Another friend has a '97 cobra with 4.10s, and that is also very nice. The '93 has long tubes and an off road H with dumped flowmaster 50s, and it sounds like pure sex. The '97 has an off road H with flowmaster 40s, and sounds different, but not as nice as the '93. So I guess i'm saying the 5.0 sounds better, but most of the 4.6s are faster. I'd say get whatever is a better deal.

there is a 97 cobra where i live. well it's bout 18 miles southwest of new orleans. it has 24000 miles and they only want $9000 for

:eek:

As for the question. DOHC 4V > OHV 2V. Sounds overly simple, but it's friggin true. If you want to pull the engine out and apart then yes go 5.0, but if you want a solid performer that reacts well to mods and has no common problems to speak of get the 4.6.

What are the advantages of the 94 - 95 Cobra as compared to the 96 - 98 Cobra?

none. the 4.6 Cobra's are equal or superior to the 5.0 cars in every way except sound and low end torque

I feel like the 5.0 will go forever and ever but I have no idea about the 4.6L any problem areas?

nothing major, the 4.6 is rock solid as well

5.0 Cobra's are getting quite rare though, if you can find a clean one pick it up