5.0 Coyote crate engine

KevinV

Jan 9, 2001
Anyone considering putting a new 5.0 Coyote crate engine in place of their 4.6? The engine mounts and bell housing are the same. I don't know what else may prove problematic.

A supercharger can get you up in that 412+ HP range for about the same price, granted that it would be more costly to install a new engine. Which way would you prefer?

Thanks for any opinions.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm going to give that engine a year or two to settle out. Let other guys do the research on where the limits are. The 4.6 combinations are pretty solid for whatever performance range you're looking at. Unless you enjoy being on the bleeding edge of development and money is no object I'd stay with your 4.6 and throw a little FI at it.

There is no way the price would be comparable between the crate engine and a supercharger. The crate engine is $7k plus $1800 for the computer to run it, plus installation. The power steering in the 5.0 is electric as well, so you will have to get your steering to work as well. You would be better off keeping the 4.6 and getting a built bottom end for a blower. Or if you want a 5.0, trade your car in for one. Not trying to rain on your parade, but it is more involved to switch than it sounds.

ct07gt is 100% correct! 5.0L Crate engine I sell for example $6299.99, the wring harness sells for $1295.00 and the alternator kit is $225.99. Also you have to somehow rig your hydraulic power steering to work and LABOR!!!! whether you pay someone or take weeks to do it yourself it's a lot. Whipple H.O. kit is $6,699.99 and if you're worried about the bottom end then M-6009-A463V is $3,399.99 and if you buy from right place free shipping to 48 states. Labor would be cheaper and a hell of a lot less complicated.

Thanks, that's why I asked. I don't (or didn't) know what complications there are. I expect there are probably more.

The only thing I'd add is I don't like the rear end of the new Mustang compared to my 08, so getting one of those is probably not something I'd do. Although I would tolerate it for a boss or a GT350.

ct07gt is 100% correct! 5.0L Crate engine I sell for example $6299.99, the wring harness sells for $1295.00 and the alternator kit is $225.99. Also you have to somehow rig your hydraulic power steering to work and LABOR!!!! whether you pay someone or take weeks to do it yourself it's a lot. Whipple H.O. kit is $6,699.99 and if you're worried about the bottom end then M-6009-A463V is $3,399.99 and if you buy from right place free shipping to 48 states. Labor would be cheaper and a hell of a lot less complicated.

$7826 for the 5.0 vs. $10100 for the supercharged and built 4.6.

Just sayin'