5.0 Coyote Oil Change

BlackBuggy

Aug 6, 2011
Indiana
Changing the oil in the next 1k miles (5600 miles on the car at the moment, the oil doesn't look too bad). I was checking the car out in order to see what I would need to do the job and I cannot find the drain plug for the life of me. I see the oil filter and I see the bottom of the pan, but I do not see the drain plug. Where is it!?

Also, these babies take 8 quarts of oil, correct?

• Sponsors (?)

I think it's 8 quarts. Check the owners manual to make sure.

As for the plug, there is some kind of aerodynamic shield that needs to be unbolted and come off to get at the bottom of the engine. I think it even has wording stamped into it that says so that you can see if you use a flashlight.

8 quarts for the Coyote and the drain plug is at the bottom of the oil pan and the plug faces towards the rear of the car. It takes a 15mm wrench and 227 inch pounds of torque to tighten.

Drive the Mustang onto a ramp and the drain plug will become visible.

There are three low torque 8mm bolts to remove the bottom plastic bottom cover(tighten to 89 inch pounds) to access the oil filter that is on the driver's side front of the engine .

Be sure to prefill (with new oil) the new oil filter, before installing.

The car should show the new oil level at the midway point of the crosshatch part of the dipstick-it did on my 2011 5.0.