5.0 crank pulley and distributor options

Gunny87

Nov 29, 2015
Murray Utah
I purchased a complete engine for a local classified site that had sat outside for a few years, it's out of a early 90's Mustang GT so perfect for my 87 GT, the block is at the machine shop and will be ready to picked up Monday as a short block 306 (had to bore 30 thousands over do to rust in #1 cylinder) with an E303 cam.
The problem is the crank pulley was buggered up and the distributor is badly corroded inside so need to replace them both unfortunately 5.0 foxbody Mustang"s are in short supply in the junkyards around here but trucks, vans, and large sedans are plentiful so before I head out on a junkyard run today I was hoping to see if any of you my know if there's other more common (to my area) vehicle that I can use the crank pulley and distributor off of?

• Sponsors (?)

well LMR has a set of 3 for just or $100 but I only need the crank pulley or they have under drive pulleys which I don't want and I also want to keep a stock dissy so I'm very happy with JY parts
I'm not building a Chevy here where I have to replace all the factory parts with aftermarket to make it perform.

There's no better option than an OEM distributor for a Windsor though... figure that one out. :O_o:

As a result, some of these guys are installing distributor-less HEI systems. Particularly, the ones who want more spark control with their programmable after-market, ECUs. Let me give you the cliff-notes versions of those endeavors:

/it's a pain in the balls

IMO, it's better to buy one new with a warranty. Yes, you can hope that the first one you get is in good order but be prepared to ship it back if it's not. Order from a company with this in mind. Torques my wrenches when I have to pay for return shipping for something they did half-ass.

The alternative of course, would be to mine one from the junk yard then have it rebuilt by a place that warrants their work. I find this option to be the most reliable. Places that send you a rebuilt part for a core are also produced in mass and don't get the same attention to detail.

Edit: As far as parts store distributors: Just "No". :nonono:

Yes. There are parts stores that have good ones. Yes. You can return them to the store. The problem is: You can never tell which stores are currently carrying the good ones and which are carrying the junk rebuilds.

Occassionally, someone will create a thread like: Hey! AutoZ is selling high press pumps for cheap! They're genuine Walbro! (followed by specific part number in thread)

but they're few and far between

Last edited:
Mark 7 crank pulley would work but slightly larger in OD.

I got myself a stock set of pullies on eBay. Can't believe we threw those things in the trash during the "under drive pulley craze" of the late 90s

just to update I've ordered a distributor from RockAuto, says it's a re-manufactured Motorcraft and I ordered an original used crank pulley for Fox Restoration back on the 17th of September.... never showed up.... never showed up.... never showed up.... so called last Tuesday and apparently my order fell through the cracks so they said they send it out that day but haven't seen it yet (fingers crossed it will be here soon) hopefully I'll have it all together and ready to go in in the next few weeks, however by then the weather will probably not be optimal for doing the swap but you never know, the garage I'm working out of isn't big enough to pull the car into and pull-install an engine so that work will need to be done outside.
sure is nice to work on a clean engine!
And for the record the Fram oil filter is just on there for priming purposes, it will be replaced with a Motorcaft in the end
20181006_162411.jpg 20181006_162420.jpg 20181006_162520.jpg 20181006_162829.jpg
20181006_162411.jpg
20181006_162420.jpg
20181006_162520.jpg
20181006_162829.jpg

Reactions: 1 users