5.0 difrence

ng1965

Apr 16, 2006
whas the difrence between a 1989 5.0 h.o out of a mustang and the 5.0 out of a 1997 explorer. which engine is the best for building a good street & strip car? I red an article about the explorer heads and intake it say that they flow better than the muatang heads and intake how truth is that ? thank for any info

• Sponsors (?)

The 5.0L motors in the explorers are very similar to the ones found in the '93 cobra cars.

they come with GT40 heads and Intake... much better than your standard 5.0L e7's and choke hold lower intake.

if you can get your hands on the explorer engine for the same price as a mustang engine def get the explorer ....it would make a nice budget motor..port those heads and intake would save you at least a grand.....instead of buyin aftermarket ones...

An explorer motor isn't a direct bolt in. You will need to rob some parts off a regular Mustang 5.0 HO.

Explorers come with Gt40/Gt40P heads, a cast intake similar to the '93 Cobra and a 65mm TB. The cam sucks though so make sure you trash that.

can I still use the same computer that is in my car? I have converted my 65 to efi already it works great. But I want to go with a better engine. Without going after market. What cam do you recomend for the explorer 5.0?