5.0 front brake upgrade kits?

• Sponsors (?)

I would also like some info on this as well as options for 4 lug rears. I already have the much hated 4 lug cobra r's and I don't really want to drop another 1000.00+ on another set just to get 5 lugs.

Get some 73mm calipers off a early 90's lincoln Mark series, SVO rear disc conversion, EBC/Hawk pads, Slotted rotors, MM seel caliper slides. There are a few websides on the subject.

chrishicks said:
I would also like some info on this as well as options for 4 lug rears. I already have the much hated 4 lug cobra r's and I don't really want to drop another 1000.00+ on another set just to get 5 lugs.

Lol, I hear ya! I have the same wheels but they were cool when I got them 4 years ago. Good Thread!

Ok, here is what I have done and I really like the improvement and don't feel I need rear discs for the street:

SS stainless braded flex lines (2 front, 1 rear)
Sn94 MC
93 Cobra booster
73mm calipers
Power Stop slotted rotors
Hawk HPS pads
Wildwood adjustable Propo valve in series with stock Propo combo valve
MM rear shoes

Keeping the stock Propo valve gives the 5-7 lbs of pre-pressure for the drums and my adj Propo valve is adjusted (full -1 3/4 turns) so the fronts lock up just slightly before the rears.

Good Luck, Don

Funanin said:
whats this about putting bigger calipers from a lincoln on? who has done this and what year/model can I get them from?

I went to autozone and core charged my stockers for 88 crown victoria "police package" calipers. There there a direct bolt on.

You could even ask for 86 SVO calipers. They are also 73mm.

I've heard you need to turn your brake booster rod 1.5 turns counter-clockwise. But I didnt do it. Seems to work fine for me. Also bleed your brakes afterwards. There are left ones and right ones. So make sure you put them on the right sides. Maximum Motorsports has someting about this on there website. The bleeder valves have to point toward the back of the car.

I guess it's about budget. A simple soft brake pad with slotted rotors alone would make a big difference. A SN-95/Rear disc would really change the whole brake feel. A later modle Cobra with 13" rotors in front would do the job real nice. Factory replacments as upgrades are very possible, but if you put on a set of aftermarket systems, yes you would drop $2K minimal but the difference would be like a stock engine compared to a H/C/I stroker with a blower.

which ones?

so yea everyone says 91 lincoln mark 7, 88 crown vic police, 86 svo, ect but when I look them up on motorcraft.com, they are all different part #'s. So which one do I want? They are obviously all different, which means some are better than others or fit better. :shrug: