Engine 5.0 lifter tap until oil pressure gets up. Adjustment possible?

I haven't ever been the type to push something hard and hope it breaks loose in a good way.

It's not some " I can barely hear it taping " sound, nor is it a " Well that engine is going to need to come apart ! " loudness either. But if I was going to sell it, down the road, I would loose a few thousands bucks in haggling, for sure. I would also worry if it's something that is only going to get worse and it's cheaper to fix now, than let it mess other parts up. Changing a cam is not what I would want to do.

• Sponsors (?)

I haven't ever been the type to push something hard and hope it breaks loose in a good way.

It's not some " I can barely hear it taping " sound, nor is it a " Well that engine is going to need to come apart ! " loudness either. But if I was going to sell it, down the road, I would loose a few thousands bucks in haggling, for sure. I would also worry if it's something that is only going to get worse and it's cheaper to fix now, than let it mess other parts up. Changing a cam is not what I would want to do.
Then you’re really only left with the treatment option, and replacement if that doesn’t work.

Yep. If the " mechanic in a can " step doesn't work, then real mechanic stuff will have to happen.

I changed the oil today. I'll tell if things are better the next time I visit my Dad. Once it gets a little warm it sounds good and revs up fine. It's most obvious after it sits for a few days. Once it's gotten past tapping, it sounds fine for the rest of the day it seems. I haven't ever started it in the morning and waited all day to fire it up again. But with only an hour or two, it's quiet.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for updating me...LOL... I didn't think about the newer ATF formulations... As said above, ATF " was" an oil that had alot of detergents in it that worked out well for cleaning the internal parts of an engine..... The Sea Foam might be a better Modern option....

Sea foam is mostly isopropyl alcohol and lighter fluid (petroleum distillates).
There are other products made to flush before an oil change.
A quart of Kero is another old school method of cleaning out crud. Idle, do not drive, for ten minutes and drain were the old steps for the kero or the motor flush.

The danger is knocking all the crud in the pan etc. loose on a high mile or neglected engine and the chunks blocking more things, like the oil pump pick up. So watch your oil pressure while flushing the crud out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I'll check the oil pressure. According to the gauge, it's good, but they can lie.

The engine is not high mileage or neglected. It's pretty low mileage. If it has 20K on it, I would be surprised. It's a car club meet car, for the most part.

:shrug:
Don't know what that means
I don’t either.
Type F does not have the friction modifiers Dexron/Mercon fluids do. As transmission fluids are required to operate at a wide range of temps, it should not be flammable like Seafoam. It’s also a higher viscosity than Seafoam, so I do not see it leaking past rings and valve stems to smoke as much.

I take it then that you 2 et al. have never ran it (typeF) or used it to start a motor with seized rings
Old trick
Repeat
The stuff burns like woo wee (mixed with gasoline of course)
The flames look cool too
Best to have a few beers first and have a fire extinguisher handy

I used trans fluid to 'clean' carbon from used engine when I worked at a junk yard back when I was a kid, dribbled it down the carb while at a high idle, smoked like a wet forest fire, I still don't know what 'woo wee' means but I never mixed gas with the trans fluid either.

I used trans fluid to 'clean' carbon from used engine when I worked at a junk yard back when I was a kid, dribbled it down the carb while at a high idle, smoked like a wet forest fire, I still don't know what 'woo wee' means but I never mixed gas with the trans fluid either.
Here is some help for us old squares from the Interwebz.

“What does "woo wee" mean?
1. adjective referring to all types of negative, annoying or frustrating situations and circumstances. It can also describe the behavior of a person who is upset or having a bad day.

2. exclamation of sympathy and camaraderie for someone experiencing a disheartening situation.”
Also see Wooo Doggy!

I like Acetone and Transmission fluid in a precision oiler as a penetrating oil. I read about it in a machinist trade magazine.

@JohnW63 please update us on progress and what procedures you choose when you get the chance, and I’ll stop derailing the thread.

Here is some help for us old squares from the Interwebz.

“What does "woo wee" mean?

I like Acetone and Transmission fluid in a precision oiler as a penetrating oil. I read about it in a machinist trade magazine.

@JohnW63 please update us on progress and what procedures you choose when you get the chance, and I’ll stop derailing the thread.
I think its more of a whoooooo weeeeeeee. like a hallelujah rebel yell......
We used to soak paint guns in a 5 gallon can of Acetone.. They looked brand new.... Not sure if a person could afford 5 gallons of the stuff now.....
What was the mix ratio of the Acetone to ATF?

• Haha
I think its more of a whoooooo weeeeeeee. like a hallelujah rebel yell......
We used to soak paint guns in a 5 gallon can of Acetone.. They looked brand new.... Not sure if a person could afford 5 gallons of the stuff now.....
What was the mix ratio of the Acetone to ATF?
50/50
I should have posted that. It works on steel, iron, copper, brass and aluminum.

Use in well ventilated area.
With the precision oiler (a squeeze bottle with a not sharpened hypodermic tip), it is less odiferous and messy than Liquid Wrench or PBlaster.
I do not take a torch right away to something stuck that’s coated in any of them, but a butane or propane torch has not been a problem after it has soaked in and probably the Acetone has evaporated.