5.0 next mods

strokedcoupe

Jun 28, 2007
i have a 91 lx 5speed and the mods so far are basic,shorty headers h pipe cobra upper and lower intake,3.55 gears ,steeda shifter.
NOW the next steps,bbk cold air kit,sub frame connecters,and a zex 125 kit,should i go with a b303 cam or 1.7 roller rockers i was told that installing 1.7 rr would do about the same thing as installing a b303 cam is this true? i was also thinking of a set of thumper e-7
instead of aluminum heads ,could some of yall give some advise here
should i put underdrive pullies while i am at it? i know i am asking alot of questions but from reading the post here i amsure someone can help me along.should i have went with 3.73 gears i am building this just for weekend play. i also bumped my timing

• Sponsors (?)

ok i asked to many questions to start with,sorry.
cold air intake pipe,and maf ,if i change my maf and tb what size should i go with and do i have to change my injecters and install a chip?

there are far more experienced people on here that will chime in, but here's my opinion.
your gears are fine, especially if u see much highway driving or plan on putting down some big hp. not too much difference between those and 3:73's. why would you NOT want aluminum heads? price? you could go with some ported stockers if thats what u are looking for. search thumper and tmoss, heard they do great port work. a lot of people say different things about UD pullies. i personally think they are well worth it. my car revved quicker, felt stronger after the install, which was also quite simple.
with your mods, and even more, the 19lb's are fine. i think once you get around 350hp you need to upgrade. you really need to provide more info as to your goals to get good answers for most of these questions. match your tb to your intake (not sure if cobras are 65/70mm??, or go slightly larger if you plan on upgrading in the near future, and just port match. most run slighly larger maf's than tb's like 73mm or 76mm, just make sure to match it to your injectors.....

i would advise the next step to be a transmission swap. the t5 (im assuming thats what youre still running as you didnt say anything otherwise) is marginal on stock 302's. youre talking cam, intake, gears, and nitrous....it will blow up. its a question of when, not if. while pricey, the tremec transmissions will give you the strength and the peace of mind to build the rest of the car the way you want without fear of blowing it up every time you dog on it.

ive never used one of the FRPP cams. I went with the trick flow stage one and am happy with it. it sounds nasty and pulls hard, particularly 3000rpm and above. i had 3.27 gears with it though and i could only get into the REAL powerband on the expressways, but you would be WELL beyond the speed limit in 3rd gear and the car is still begging for more. so the rear end is out now getting some 3.90 gears to make it more of a street car.

as far as what 1.7 rockers will do for you....the only thing that changes is how much the valve lifts off the seat. it will not change the duration, overlap, centerline, etc. if you have a set of mildly worked heads and are buying rockers anyway, id go for it. but you must measure things like piston to valve clearance when you go increasing cam size/duration AND increasing the rocker ratio

3,73 gears arent worth the cost of changing them if youre going from 3.55's, unless you have a ring and pinion laying around and know how to change them yourself. 3.90 and 4.10 would be worth it. but youd have to consider how much time the car may see expressway usage with those gears. i went with 3.90 because my car is a convertible and heavy so i figured 3.90s in mine would probably be the equivalent of a hatch with 3.73s.

explorer gt40's are relatively cheap and a noticable gain over stock mustang heads. some guys swear by the gt40's, others by the gt40p's. either will be a great setup and the heads can typically be had for $300 or so. i put the whole explorer gt40 motor in with the trick flow cam and comp valve springs and nothing more than a bowl blend on the heads. i cant complain, particularly since i paid $100 for the motor and sold the intake for $400 and then carbed it.