5.0 oem cam vs aftermarket cam questions

Greggk

Oct 12, 2009
Ludowici GA
does anyone know what the specs are of the oem cam, such as durations, power range etc? i am looking for a performance cam, but different then what most of you are used to suggesting. i need one for low end torque. reason is its going in an old bronco

• Sponsors (?)

85-88:
Lift: .278 intake, .278 exhaust
Duration: 266 intake 266 exhaust
Overlap: 36 degrees, 9.04 factor
Lobe Center: 115 intake, 115 exhaust

89-90:
Duration: 276 intake, 266 exhaust
Overlap: 39 degrees, 19.51 factor
Lobe Center: 116 intake, 115 exhaust

91-95:
Duration: 276 intake, 266 exhaust
Overlap: 39 degrees, 19.51 factor
Lobe Center: 116 intake, 115 exhaust

93-95 Cobra:
Lift: .282 intake, .282 exhaust
Duration: 270 intake, 270 exhaust
Overlap: 33.5 degrees, 15.24 factor
Lobe Center: 115 intake, 121.5 exhaust

Without changing anything on the engine. Rear Gears is the best bet. Personnaly, I dont run anything less than 4.10's. Some guys dont like them for a regular highway driven car. I dont mind. The average guy will get 3.73's.

As long as your using the Stock heads, you will always be handicapped im my opinion. Changing the cam in most cases , when nothing else is changed, usually winds up with a powerband in the upper Rpm's, and very short as the stock heads will run out of steam.

Im also a believer that you should never put money into a stock set of heads.

ummm this isnt a car. its A FORD BRONCO 4x4 i need low end torque and hp for offroading and towing, and there wont be any money in the heads. a very good friend of mine is well known in the corvette world and he is porting my heads for free n exchange for some of my work, so why not do it if its free right?

just so everyone is tracking this is the vehicle getting the 5.0HO
DSCF2220.jpg

I would assume you are still moving your power up the powerband slightly with the B cam. Don't do an alphabet cam either way, they are old technology.

Yeah, if you are still curious call up Comp Cams. They have great techs that will give you a lot of great info on cam selection.

I put the oem cam from a 93 mustang into a 90 f150 with ported e7s, so that is pretty close to what you are doing.

The truck definitely has more power, but it is higher in the rpm band than the stock truck cam.
There is less grunt down low no 2 ways about it - but once you are moving, hold on b/c there's more engine than before.

It is much, much quicker getting on the interstate pulling a rig then before and it will pull my duck boat at 70 in OD without downshifting on hills.

Can't remember if you are going carb or not but the Stang cam will work with your computer and will pass emissions. You will need to rewire the spark plugs but not the injectors as some say.

Good luck...
Posted via Mobile Device

I put the oem cam from a 93 mustang into a 90 f150 with ported e7s, so that is pretty close to what you are doing.

The truck definitely has more power, but it is higher in the rpm band than the stock truck cam.
There is less grunt down low no 2 ways about it - but once you are moving, hold on b/c there's more engine than before.

It is much, much quicker getting on the interstate pulling a rig then before and it will pull my duck boat at 70 in OD without downshifting on hills.

Can't remember if you are going carb or not but the Stang cam will work with your computer and will pass emissions. You will need to rewire the spark plugs but not the injectors as some say.

Good luck...
Posted via Mobile Device