5.0 oil pump gasket?

67bluegt

Jul 8, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
I just dropped my oil pan and unbolted the oil pump and there was no gasket between the pump and the block? There was also no gasket between the pick up and pump either. Is this normal? I thought my oil pressure was on the low side and wondering is this could have anything to do with it? I bought it as a used engine and running it in a 66 Mustang. Have not started the engine yet.

• Sponsors (?)

67bluegt said:
Gee... I wonder why they give you a gasket when you buy a new pump? If it leaks it's not going to go anywhere except back to the bottom of the pan.

If the gasket leaks it will pull air into the oil tubing. The air is then pushed through the entire oil system.

Make sure you get that gasket in place, or atleast get creative with the silicone. If not you could have an early failure due to oil problems, and erratic oil pressures.

Good Luck with the motor
Did the 66 have a v8 stock?

I agree with vristang! You need the gaskets on both the pickup and the pump. They are there for a reason. To keep from sucking air and to keep the oil in the passages. Without them it can cause internal oil leaks and bleed off to much pressure.

Modular2v said:
yes there is a gasket between the pump and the block and the pum and pickup...it must have one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

opps guess i messed up. I've noticed that my pressure doesnt seem to be messed up just it seems to drop after my car is running for a while, but then again i have a oil leak somewhere :(

That was my problem, my oil pressure would drop after the car warmed up and was real low when it got hot. Engine has a oil pressure shut off switch for my Holley electric fuel pump and it would cut out when the engine was hot and at low rpms. Switch is rated for 7 lbs so my pressure must have been lower than that sometimes.