5.0 Overheating problem

• Sponsors (?)

Richard, I checked the timing. It's at a stock 10*

I ran into another small issue - sounds like one of the rocker arms is loose. Need to re-do the valve lash before proceeding with the temp issue. I have my kids this weekend, so it won't be until tomorrow afternoon before I can get to it.

I'll keep you guys updated.

I really appreciate all the input - keep it coming! I think we're getting close! :nice:

I agree with Richard on the temps. You should run cooler at speed than while idling if your fan settings are stock. The underdrive pulleys might cause things to run a little hotter at idle as well.

Well, in all honesty, I'm not really that concerned with added HP, as this is a daily driver and never raced. With that said, maybe I should put the stock pulleys back on, at least until I get the cooling issue resolved and get comfortable with the temp ranges of the new motor. The car had the UDP's on it when I bought it, but the previous owner threw in all the orginal parts he had pulled off, so I do still have the stock pulleys.

It's funny how things change with age. When I was a teenager, all I could think of was new ways to add HP, but now at 40, all I think of are ways to make it more reliable. LOL!

Yesterday, I put the stock pulleys back on and pulled the Ford Racing 9.5mm SP wires, replacing with stock 8mm wires and plugs. But, it got too dark to test (I don't have a garage - it's in the driveway with no lights).

At this point the engine is back to full stock with the exception of the Mallory distrib and coil, and the 3 core radiator.

I will test the new config when I get home from work today. I am also going to double-check the fan to make sure it's working correctly and providing good flow pull.

Well guys, looks like it's fixed!! I want to do some more testing to be sure, but so far so good. Sitting in the driveway idling, it reaches 210*-211* and holds!

I also added an auxiliary switch for the fan's high setting so that I can kick it in manually if needed (instructions found here: Ford Mustang: Mustang Tech: Cooling and AC systems: Cooling fan manual switch install), and when I engaged the fan, it dropped the temp to 203*.

I REALLY want to thank everyone who threw in their 2 cents worth in helping me figure this out!! You guys are great! :hail2:

Let's hope it continues to hold together! ;)

It sounds like one of your head gaskets is installed wrong causing a quick rise to an extreme temp? just a suggestion. I have a new 331 in my `94 with a 180* stant and it can hardly get up to 180 at any time (and that's using a Matco determinator scan tool) for accuracy...