5.0 Pandemic build

welltal89

Member
Jul 15, 2014
8
4
13
31
Hi all,

Wanted to chronicle my 5.0 build so that I've got somewhere to keep track of my progress. After looking for a new project fox, I decided to start with the engine since I wanted to start with a good drivetrain and drop it into something with minimal rust. I decided to go this route because the last 3 projects I've had came with issues I found out about once I got them running. I figured this would give me the opportunity to make sure everything on the engine is solid and the only issues would be ancillary (not to do with bad bearings, head gaskets, etc.)

Also, I wanted a project that didn't take up a lot of room.


I ended up buying a 5.0 block out of a 93 mustang GT that got a 347 stroker. The guy said his kid found there was a knock, so he parked it and dropped in a new motor (wish I had that kind of money.) After bringing the block home and tearing into it, I did discover that on top of a bad 1-2 rod bearing, it looked like the oil hadn't been changed in a long time and it had been sitting in the pan for a long time. It had begun essentially turned to thick sludge. My diagnosis? Dude never changed the oil.

Follow along as I update with the teardown, thanks for stopping by!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mustang5L5
  • Sponsors(?)


General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
17,862
5,800
193
polk county florida
I'm watching this, I like to see what others are doing, I have a 93 (I think) hidden away but I don't know if I want a project at this time.
Where you out of?
 

welltal89

Member
Jul 15, 2014
8
4
13
31
Hey I'm in the Metro Detroit area, Canton, MI to be more specific.

So a couple of updates, I realized this engine did in fact have a bad bearing on the 1-2 crank journals. Unfortunately that means a polish is out of the question. I've ended up taking the block over to a local machine shop (mid 5 auto in Livonia) and they pretty much cleaned the block, put some new freeze plugs and oil galley plugs, put some cast pistons on the rods and gave the bores a 0.030 over. I dropped the crankshaft off at a shop called crankshaft craftsmen and they said they were pretty backed up, so we'll see how long it takes to get that back. I'm hoping for an 0.010 undersize, but I can only be so lucky with how scored 1-2 journals were. I've uploaded the pics of the teardown in the link below, feel free to check it out!


I'm looking into getting a B303 cam so I can give this motor a little bit of personality (also because the stock cam this block had has some pitting of some sort.) Looks like I'm going to have to get some valvesprings and new hydro roller pushrods.

In addition, someone sold me their T5 NWC for 10 bucks. We'll see what's wrong with it, worst case scenario, I've got a nice garage talking piece.

Thanks for stopping by!