5.0 PEEPS, PLEASE LISTEN TO MY ENGINE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1oyEtjHAYg

im now financially able to start bringing my 93 5.0 back to life. body is fine (like 2 rust bubbles forming) but i wanted opinions on if its worth refreshing the engine or going crate.

the car drives fines aside from buzzing from rear (yes im going to change fuel pump) and it still has some punch.

you can hear the header leaking and there's something wrong with the starter, although i went ahead and had it replaced but it didnt change the sound at start-up.

the engine and car have 179,000kms on it and i can see very slight oil sweat at rear of engine and by tranni

tranni is rebuilt OE from mister tranni (sorry guys)

everything on it is bone stock

im looking forward to bringing this pony back to life and think im in the right place.

• Sponsors (?)

So, your question is, should you build this motor or go crate? If you have the money, go ahead and buy a crate motor. 178km is something like 110mi (for us Americans), which is enough that the motor is probably starting to get tired, though these motors will run and make good power forever if maintenanced right.

Start with a good, thorough tune-up. If the car is entirely stock, you'll want to do a LOT of things to it before you ever drop a pricey crate motor in it. Browse the site for ideas, but here are a few things you'll want before you throw a healthy motor in.

1. Chassis stiffening. Sub frame connectors are critical for any Fox.
2. Rear gears and possibly the carrier/ axles. Stock 28 spline axles won't put up much fight against a healthy crate motor and sticky tires.
3. While on the drivetrain subject, that stock T-5 won't hold up too well against 330+ ft-lb torque that a new motor will produce.
3. With that many miles on the car, I imagine the shocks/springs are in pretty bad shape. Replace them with performance stuff.
4. If you are going to replace the fuel pump, get a big one that can keep up with a healthy powerplant. 190 lph or 255 lph will feed most engine combos.

Here is a good thread on starter stuff that will help you out. Good luck!

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=636360&showpost#3