5.0 piece of crap

I have been working on my car's fuel injectors for the last two weeks because at first I though they were leaking from the top of the fuel rail. Turns out the injectors have a very small crack in the plastic towards the top. So if your car is older than 89, you might still have speed density. Go back with NEW #19 injectors and ditch the #24, or keep them around for later.

Currently, my car will backfire around 1500 RPM down the roads, and it will backfire bad at times. So I say replace the injectors.

• Sponsors (?)

ANother simple check would be the timing. If it ran ok then started getting worse, the timing doesnt'tfit as a problem, unless the distruibutor hold down is loose? Cause it sounds like the timing is retarded...just something to check after you pull the codes. Again, start with the shop manual, or let us know when you have a timing light and are ready to check that.

if you go through the timing and other suggestions and come back to needing injectors. i have some stock 19# injectors from my speed density car that worked perfect.

i replaced them with bosch ones thinking they were bad, but it turned out to be just a spark plug wire :bang: pm me if your interested, ill sell them dirt cheap

your using higher flowing 24# injectors with the wide 19# pulse width.... you either need to shorten the pulse width (convert to mass air or reprogram the ecu) or get lower flowing injectors (19#).... all that extra unburnt fuel is exploding in the exhaust....

I had a very similar problem with backfires..Turned out it was my ignition coil...I swapped it out and never had that problem again but...like was said,I would definately pull those injectors and get some stock 19's in there ASAP...

You can't chase down all the symptoms correctly until you change all the things you see as obviously being wrong...and I would say the injectors are a good place to start...-Milt

PS...pull the plugs and see what they look like...could give you some good clues,also be sure to keep track as to which plug came from which cylinder...just in case you notice any problems specific to one or more plugs...

I am suprised no one mentioned;

FUEL FILTER...Replace that. I had a 1987 Cutlass and my car did the same EXACT things you are describing. I replaced the fuel filter and alternator and problem fixed. Alternator did not have anything to do with it. But I would check your TPS like others have said. And maybe the IAC, I would clean it with BRAKES PARTS CLEANER.

He said the car ran fine for a year without issue ........
...... based on that should we assume the car has a MAF setup to match.?>

Xile - if your Stang has a cylindrical shaped sensor known as a MAF sensor (located on the large air-tube that goes from the airfilter up to the engine) your injectors (24#) should be fine .....

..... if you do have a maf setup try pulling the codes that your car automatically stores in its computer (the plug to pull codes is on the back of the drivers side strut tower under the hood)

..... likely culprits could be the tps, the map, pressure reg, etc.

Good Luck