5.0 present for VIP

unluckyengineer

Dec 22, 2004
Hey you guys, my friend is a longtime 5.0 guy and birthday has already rolled around and I am still looking for a good upgrade for him. He has an 86 GT and has put underdrive pulleys, cold air intake, mass air conversion, a/c elimnation and has cut off most of the exhaust.. Now I want to get him something that will boost some hp and cost less than 200. Anybody got any ideas? haha I was thinking about trying to get a couple of my friends to go in with me on a stroker kit but I have never rebuilt an engine before but I have done everything else.. We have no machine shop type things just welding, air compressor and that is it. So I guess what I am asking is how difficult would it be to rebuild the total engine and then what are some good stroker kits.. and second of all what is a good performance part for under 200 on this car... thanks sorry it is so long

• Sponsors (?)

yeah installing gears shouldn't be a problem at all I hadn't thought of that that is perfect.. aren't they horrible on GT's? haha like 2.83 or something? hmmm so it is his daily driver should I bump it up to 3.73's or is that way too much?

yea for the budget you have, nothing will give you a gain like gear, stock is 2.73 or 3.08 depending on the factory option, 3.73 is PERFECT for stick, and if he has an auto 3.73 will do the job, but go 4.10