5.0 problem

sshakrr

Jul 12, 2005
Hello, Im new to the site and have a question about my 1988 5.0 LX. Ive given it a tune up including cap, rotor, plugs, wires, gas filter, and oxygen sensors. Ive had it in at my local ford dealer and ran the diagnostic test twice. First time he said the plugs were the problem ( autolites) so I put in motorcrafts and still the engine stumbles when you get on it even a little. The car has almost 43k miles on it. Im lost as to what it could be and so was my dealer! Has anybody expierenced this type of issue and what did you do to remedy the situation? Any help would be appreciated Thanks Ron

• Sponsors (?)

From something I read on here the other day I would check the coil. Could be bad and wil not work well under load at all. Check all electrical connections. Clean the MAF. I cannot believe the Ford dealer did not find it.(or should I)

Welcome to the boards!

Based upon what you said (there were no codes? Did they use a scope?), I would check basic things.

Be sure the plug wires are not touching anywhere (I know they are new, but are they touching?).
Check your TPS for a smooth run from ~1 volt to ~4.5 volts. Be sure there are no breaks in the volts as you open the TPS (dead spot). Stuff like that. Good luck.

'88 California cars came with a MAF.
I'd look into fuel pressure as well. It may be able to let the car idle, but under load you may be seeing fuel starvation. The filter was changed, but the pump may be worn out.
Also check the MAP sensor and see if it is unplugged, or maybe has a damaged wire.
Also, it would be nice to know if the car is SD or mass air.

And what is the plug gap set at?

What the hell dealer can't figure out why the car is stumbling :shrug:

Did you pay :shrug: And if so :nonono: Go back and demand results.

If the sensors are functioning properly and consequently the air/fuel is dead on in all areas, the only place left is ignition.

Dealers are at a loss with speed density cars now :nonono: Another nail in the coffin of America :D

Thanks for the great advise! I have SD and the plugs are gapped at .054 (.052-.056) is whats on the emission label. I was thinking maybe a vac. leak or coil going bad or clogged injectors or bad fuel pressure. But those were just guesses and will look into them this weekend. Again thanks for the support :hail2: Ron