5.0 t5 swap 65MUSTANG

tonyfastback

Feb 17, 2004
5.0 t5 swap 65fastback

I AM SWAPING MY 289 4SPD TO 5.0 T5 AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF SOMEBODY HAS SOME INFORMATION FOR ME ON A FEW THINGS LIKE;
SERPINTINE PULLY CONVERSION, TRANS CROSSMEMBER AND CLUTCH CABLE
CONVERSION. ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE HELPFULL, THANKS TONY

• Sponsors (?)

I believe that if you check with oboebrian and t_chelle16 (I think - 'Chelle?); they can set you up with archives of threads from over on the "Classic Tech" forum that cover nearly every question you'd have. If the Search Engine is back in operation and there are still archives hiding somewhere around the board; you might also do a search on "swapper". Much of this has been discussed on these pages; while the work is -for the most part- in progress and often with pictures and "Don't do what I did!" anecdotes. This is not "Monster Garage" or a build-up by Hot Rod magazine; rather experiences of forum members as they did the work along with advice from the "been there, done that" crowd. Experience is the best teacher, and there's a lot of that around here! :nice:

Still Dreamin'

Wow!!! I Just Went To Some Of The Threads And You Are Absolutly Correct There Are Bits From Every Type Of Conversion I Could Think Of And Then Some. I Would Be Very Suprised If Someone Out There Is Not Offering A Complete Conversion One Money Type Of Kit. This Must Be One Of The Most Popular Swaps? I Plan On Keeping The Original Drivetrain Just In Case I Decide To Go Back!

tonyfastback said:
Wow!!! I Just Went To Some Of The Threads And You Are Absolutly Correct There Are Bits From Every Type Of Conversion I Could Think Of And Then Some. I Would Be Very Suprised If Someone Out There Is Not Offering A Complete Conversion One Money Type Of Kit. This Must Be One Of The Most Popular Swaps? I Plan On Keeping The Original Drivetrain Just In Case I Decide To Go Back!

Absolutely! I pretty much hang around on this thread playing around on the "Talk" board; because I'm not in a postion to be building my own Stang. (Three kids - two are teenage girls - one "adopted kid", dogs, cats, horses goats; a Boy Scout Troop, County Emergency Management Communications Group, A Jaycee Chapter and it's associated PRCA Rodeo, one each 4H and FFA Chapters, - I just don't have money or time left over!) However, I've been doing the same searches and storing the search results on CDR's :nice: One of these days (years? :shrug: ); I'll have a little '67 in the back yard, and I'll be building from what I've learned! Much better off than when I was working on my 351C Gran Torino or building the 406-powered F100 (back when I was a kid and didn't have kids of my own).

BTW, my '67 will likely have a stroked Windsor with 5.0 EFI. I have the knowledge base right here :D

Still Dreamin'

tonyfastback said:
I AM SWAPING MY 289 4SPD TO 5.0 T5 AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF SOMEBODY HAS SOME INFORMATION FOR ME ON A FEW THINGS LIKE;
SERPINTINE PULLY CONVERSION, TRANS CROSSMEMBER AND CLUTCH CABLE
CONVERSION. ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE HELPFULL, THANKS TONY

Don't change the serpentine belt on your 5.0. It is FAR superior to the v-belts in the earlier cars.

I Agree But I Want To Keep It Simple, Just Waterpump/alternator And Crank Pullys, What Water Pump Did You Use? Outlet On Passenger Or Driverside.
Also I Would Like To Use The Shorty Headers But I Have The World Product Windsor Jr. Heads And The Stock 5.0 Type Headers Restrict The Ports. This Is All Great Input And I Appreciate All The Help
Tonyfastback

tonyfastback said:
I Agree But I Want To Keep It Simple, Just Waterpump/alternator And Crank Pullys, What Water Pump Did You Use? Outlet On Passenger Or Driverside.
Also I Would Like To Use The Shorty Headers But I Have The World Product Windsor Jr. Heads And The Stock 5.0 Type Headers Restrict The Ports. This Is All Great Input And I Appreciate All The Help
Tonyfastback
I didn't change anything I didn't have to. Water pump and all are the same as factory. By the way, Ford Motorsports sells a wiring harness that is made specifically for putting 5.0 EFIs in older cars without computers. Works great, has a good instruction manual, and the phone help desk is great. All the plugs are different, so you can't connect anything wrong. :flag: