5.0 tech questions

snailpower302

Feb 15, 2009
I just bought a 92 5.0 lx. The guy said he has gt-40P heads, e303 cam, 1.6 roller rockers. My first question is how can i tell if these are really gt-40p heads?

Second question the car doesn't want to start, when it does it backfires like crazy. I checked the timing and its a 10 btdc. Does it need to be different with these heads and cam. What about the firing order is that still the stock order? Also the exhaust near the mufflers got red hot i have never seen that before> it got so hot i thought the car was going to catch fire. Please any comments on these problems would be great thank you

• Sponsors (?)

as stated above, if they are P heads, on the front of them you will see 4 cast bars...
this is a pic of my GT-40 heads, with 3 bars, so you can see what to look for.
View attachment 270728

just to right of the freeze plugs.

How do you know the timing is set, if the car wont run? Are you checking the timing with the spout pulled?
Red exhaust can often mean retarded timing.

Too many assumptions. Bent valve? Based on backfiring?? There are dozens of easier, more probably things to check first.

GT-40P's, e303 nd 1.6's should not bend a valve. Check the firing order first, then run the codes and see if anything pops up.