5.0 ticking pretty bad

66sprint6

Oct 5, 2005
Been chasing a tick the last couple weeks that recently popped up on the 5 liter. Sounded like it was comin from the intake, couldnt narrow it down to a single cylinder nor valve cover even.

Did a compression test and all cylinders were spot on 150.
Oil pressure is solid and acting like always. Once warm at idle its at the lower part of "Normal" on the stock gauge and goes up from there.
Took all night last night and put new (hardened) pushrods in and tediously checked and shimmed each rocker.
Theres no play in any of the valves/springs.
No dice, noise is still there.

Its a higher pitched ticking noise, noticeable at idle but when your driving or revving thru the RPMs it gets louder. When you push the clutch in while driving or rev and let out, the noise is most noticable as the rpms come down. It sounds like somethin is beatin the crap outta the lower/upper intake area. Im prayin its a collapsed lifter or somethin loose under the lower intake but I dunno. I noticed that some of the lifters had no "spring" to em and some did when I was tryin to find "zero lash". Its pretty freakin loud, not like loose rocker annoying loud but noticable in the car driving. Its not as loud as when I broke a rocker bolt and the pushrod was floppin around. I hope its not in the bottom end, ive heard a spun rod bearing and this noise isnt quite as solid or scarey sounding but it still concerns me. I will mention i was havin trouble with keepin the header bolts tight but they are all snugged up at the moment and the sound isnt comin from either side that I can tell, sounds like the middle of the motor.

Another thing to note is that she still pulls nice and hard, its just really really noisy. I cant tell if she's missin cause of the lopey cam, but it doesnt sounds like anythings out of the ordinary and she idles rock solid.

Im leavin in a couple minutes for Chicago or else ide tear into it and see whats up. I was kinda hoping to get some suggestions from those who know their knocks, that way I know what to look for when I get back.

As usual I appreciate it guys!

Matt

• Sponsors (?)

i'd say replace your header gaskets just to eliminate that as a possibility, i've heard some pretty nasty exhaust leaks, you'd be surprised how loud and scary they can be from inside the engine bay, and they sound just like a valvetrain tick... i'd recommend posting a short video if you have the means, that usually helps guys on here diagnose the problem better

wish i could be more help, good luck matt! :nice:

I appreciate it...and I believe the header gaskets will be looked at just to eliminate either the tick or the possibility that it was the problem lol. Ill try to grab a video when I get home Mon!
Matt