5.0 to eec5

dadslx

Nov 11, 2006
just wondering what is needed to make a fox 302 able to run a eec5 ecu. not going into a ford but rather a 97 rwd eclipse. tired of 4the cylinder and want something one off. I picked up a aode trans and had a 90 fox 5.0. not sure it matters but I have complete 95front harness all connectors and such. I even considered running two. ecus factory eclipse for emissions control and a a9l as a piggyback but not sure if that would work. so I figure the exploder ecu would be my best bet. picked up a 97aide rwd ecu. any help,or ideas? ??

• Sponsors (?)

The 94 and later computers were more emissions friendly and less performance friendly units. It is not uncommon for a 94-95 Mustang owner who has a serious desire for more HP to convert their cars to use an 89-93 5.0 Mustang computer. There are even kits to do this little trick.

Your combination of computers would not work well. Emissions control is very much a part of engine control of fuel and spark advance. Trying to crossbreed a whale and an elephant would have more chance of success than a Mitsubishi and Ford interworking computer system.

As far as the trans, a Tremec 3550, TKO or TKO 500/600 would be a better choice.
If you must use an AODE, see http://www.baumannengineering.com/tcs.htm for a controller for it.

If tuned, the 94-95 ecu's are just fine.
They are SEFI, have fan control, and several other elegant features.
The ability to control the AODE is often mentioned as a positive as well

I'm actually running a T4M0 ecu in my n/a 2.3 Mustang daily driver...
So far, it is the best of the 3 ecu's I've run in this car.

What would you gain with the use of 2 ecu's?

Jason is the resident tuning expert, and I would recommend his opinion over mine in this matter. If he can take a TM40 and a tweecer and make it run good on a 4 cylinder, that is expertise worth pursuing.

well my biggest concern is staying obd2 legal. the emissions here in Delaware don't care if its a ford motor in a mitsuhishi as long g as all emissions are on the car. so I was thinking using a 97 f250 5.8 ecu and wiring harness. this will still allow obd2 with emissions and allow tuning for the 302. also I think the 97 5.8 uses all the same sensors from the fox 5.0 plus a few extra for obd2