5.0 vs 4.6

Ok im not sure if the new technology of the 4.6 made any difference and a friend of mine got a 96 mustang recently and challenged me to a race.... Who do you think would win this???

ME
90 GT Vert AOD
MAC cold air fendewell
Superchip
BBK Shorty Headers
Bassani Offroad X-pipe
Flowmaster 40 series mufflers
w/ tailpipes

HIM
96 GT Hardtop 5 Speed
K&N Filter (Stock intake tube)
75mm Throttle Body
Cowl induction hood
Offroad x-pipe
Flowmaster 40 series mufflers
No tailpipes

So do you think i would win, or him???

• Sponsors (?)

the pre 99 GTs were a little soft, but your not going to win CAI's and chips do nothing for the car and your mild exhaust mods wont even come close to saving you. Just the facts man...sorry, just the facts.

I got more mods than him and the 90 gt had 225 hp and 300 torque vs the 96 havin 225 hp and 290 torque. Yea i figured the 5 speed would make the only difference, however, he is just a 16 year old with little 5 speed experience so im not sure how well he can handle the stick

foxstang9050 said:
ME
1990 GT vert AOD
MAC cold air fenderwell
Superchip
BBK headers
Bassani Offroad x pipe
Flowmaster 40 series
with tailpipes

your an auto and heavier..the CAI as stated already nets you ZERO HP over the stock setup, and the chip only acts to bump your timing..that's it. the headers and xpipe will offer you 5-10hp...but that's all it's going to give you...flowmasters are a muffler and far from the best at that, not to mention he's running the same exhaust additions...your going to get it handed to you. Don't be upset..the vert Gt is a DAMN fine car, don't be the guy who asks the question, then becomes ticked when the answer is not to your liking.

the CAI dynoed a 14.9 rwhp gain, and according to superchips.com, the chip was supposed to add 18 hp... and i really did notice a difference...... And yea i figured if i had a hardtop 5 speed it would be a different story... but verts are heavier and its auto so i just wanted to know... i want more opinions though just so i know for sure not to waist my time haha

foxstang9050 said:
the CAI dynoed a 14.9 rwhp gain, and according to superchips.com, the chip was supposed to add 18 hp... and i really did notice a difference...... And yea i figured if i had a hardtop 5 speed it would be a different story... but verts are heavier and its auto so i just wanted to know... i want more opinions though just so i know for sure not to waist my time haha
Son your reading lables and tryin to make them real..the MAC cold air intake is same as or less effective than the stock box with a K$N panel filter and silencer removed. The Super chip advances your timing..there's no magic HP to be made from a mailorder chip...you shoud make sure you know what your talking about before you start throwing out numbers like that. No offence, but I've been around the block a few times (few too many for my likeing), don't believe the crap companies like mac and the mailorder chip companies throw at you..the numbers just aren't there.

ok but this is the thing.... a friend of mine has a 2000 grand am GT....He swears its a race car lol. He had flowmasters, i had flowmasters, i took him by about two car lengths in a 1/4 mile. Then he removed his airbox and put a k&N in and SWORE he could beat me now lol.... And i now had all of the mods stated earlier.... I took him by about 9 car lengths in a 1/4 mile this time... and i have many witnesses... so there was obviously a lot of improvement

Your buying into the hype..just what they wanted you to do..big claims for power...but how exactly??? My little girl puts down a good deal of power....you notice the second last line of my signature..give it a read. The stock setup supplies more than ample air for my HCI engine..no question, the addition of a Mac or BBK cold air set up would yeild no gain. As for the "superchip"..it's a standard programed chip to enhance the timing under throttle from the stock setting..likely not over 14 degrees (above the standard 10, but safely enough increase for the customer to "notice" a bit of a change). The chip is not assisting you at all, best bet is pull it and bump your timing yourself..you'll likely get better gas milage and the same performance. Don't feel I'm here to put a hurt on your vehicle, just the opposite, I'd rather you see the truth about the false modds out there and find and make use the ones that work. Bump your timing to 14degrees, try some underdrive pullies, subframe connectors, aftermarket shifer, maybe some suspension upgrades, then you'll start "feeling" faster. Then you can get the wrenches out, swap out the heads/intake, hell maybe even the cam and really put that 96 in your rear view mirror...:)

Oh no im not takin it the wrong way at all please do say whatever... cuz yea when i first got my car i knew nothing about it just saw bitg numbers and shiny chrome intakes lol. And i think u might have mistaken me for "challenging" you i guess, which isnt what im doin, just sayin i raced him with just mufflers, then noticed a big difference once i had more mods, ok so i think this would be the best idea, sell the chip and buy pulleys, then install the 3:55's sittin in the box in my garage, and advance the timing to 14, then how do you think my chances will change?

DMAN302 said:
Son your reading lables and tryin to make them real..the MAC cold air intake is same as or less effective than the stock box with a K$N panel filter and silencer removed. The Super chip advances your timing..there's no magic HP to be made from a mailorder chip...you shoud make sure you know what your talking about before you start throwing out numbers like that. No offence, but I've been around the block a few times (few too many for my likeing), don't believe the crap companies like mac and the mailorder chip companies throw at you..the numbers just aren't there.

DMAN302 I HAVE ONE OF THESE CHIPS THE ONLY REASON IS A FRIEND OF MINE SOLD IT AFTER HE WRECKED HIS STANG AND I GOT IT FOR $30 AI'NT NO WAY I'D GIVE $230 FOR ONE. BUT MY QUESTION IS IT BEST FOR ME TO RUN 10* TIMING AND THE CHIP WILL ADVANCE, BUT IF I RUN 14*WHAT WILL IT DO. ITS A JET CHIP ALL INFO IN SIGNATURE.

bill302 said:
DMAN302 I HAVE ONE OF THESE CHIPS THE ONLY REASON IS A FRIEND OF MINE SOLD IT AFTER HE WRECKED HIS STANG AND I GOT IT FOR $30 AI'NT NO WAY I'D GIVE $230 FOR ONE. BUT MY QUESTION IS IT BEST FOR ME TO RUN 10* TIMING AND THE CHIP WILL ADVANCE, BUT IF I RUN 14*WHAT WILL IT DO. ITS A JET CHIP ALL INFO IN SIGNATURE.

it would be best to take it out and advance it to 14 degrees but then u will have to buy high octane fuel do to detonation.

depends on the shape of your car and his driving abilities. it may be close, because with your vert and his 96 may be pretty even in the weight category.

sorry dude but no way you picked up anywhere near even 10 rwhp from the chip and cai.

i know you may have felt a difference, and it could have been weather conditions, gas quality, psychologic thing, who knows. but stay a while on these boards and you'll pick up a thing or two about which mods actually make the numbers they brag- which isn't very many.

dunno where el dorado hills is, but if its in southern cali hit me a pm and we'll talk

With a good driver the 96 gt will take you.

They have 215hp/285tq FYI.

The 96 hardtop's don't weight that much. Less than a vert/auto 5.0L.

Car length's can difference from many factors.

I have had a bone stock 5 spd 96 (the best quarter time I could get bone stock was a 14.99 at Indianapolis Raceway Park. I never had a chance to race it after bolt-ons). If memory serves me right I think a stock auto fox runs like around a high 15 to low 16 quarter. From personal experience, I never lost to an auto fox that wasn't charged, sprayed or had a h/c/i. The 5 spd. 96-98 in stock to near stock form are anemic but an auto fox stock to near stock is worse. Boy am I glad I have a 5 spd fox with a 347.