5.0 vs 4.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friends 00, just put down 242/286 with just a catback, CAI, and TB. My dads similar 5.0 with catback, pulleys, and filter made 212/276. Tell me 30 more hp and 10 more tq (not to mention a better curve) isnt an improvement. Also remember the 96-98 cars were dogs, so the jump to the PI heads was a big increase. Also the 4V cars make great power, and even the 05+. My brothers bone stocker did 265/286 and another one with an axleback, CAI and tune did 277/296. I would say thats improving.

• Sponsors (?)

And to note, the idea of sales came in when I compared the Fbodies. They were cars that imrpoved a lot, but with the huge improvement, somehow came weak sales and the death of the model. Why dont you irv tell us what a car that impresses you buy how much better it got is...

Mustang5L5 said:
The 4.6L motor takes VERY well to mods. It just has a better designed head than the off-the-shelf E7 truck heads ford used on the 5.0. They are choked on the intake and exhaust side.

I have friend's who installed a TB, plenum, LT's mid-pipe and cat-back on their 99+ dynoing 275HP to the rear wheels, Stock they put down 225HP to the wheels. Toss in a set of 4.10's and instant low 13 second car. Supercharging a stock 4.6L gives more results than supercharging a 5.0 due to the better flowing heads.

BUT, 4.6L mods cost slightly more than 5.0 mods although this price is slowly coming down and now there are more parts than ever available for it.

Now despite me putting the 4.6L on a pedestal for the last 3 pages everyone on this board who knows me knows i'm a 5.0 guy deep down. They are cheap to make fast, light, and respond well to mods.

PLUS everyone has 99+ GT's. Take a ride in a 5.0 and you get FAR more attention and response.

Good post! Each year it seems less nice 5.0s are on the street and a nice one really turns heads. I know the 99+ is better at just about everything but I still like my 5.0 especially since I spent countless hours grinding away at the heads and intake, when buying new parts would have been easier and more effective!

ok about the braking ive called my coworker and i got in his 99 cobra and it does feel better so i stand corrected...
i wasent a gt but im giving it the benifit of the doubt..but also it was in a cobra and it was a better car...but it isent impressive...

also im never one to go by feel cause i argue the same thing to my friend with the cobra....he's so into the mustang name he has no idea those gets spanked around by wrx's camaros ive even seen a nissan 350 and a maxima tread to close for comfort give it hell....i know those cars a better then mine stock also....but with a fox you can turn it around and comeback with a vengance...and i find it uncommon with the mustang of the 4.6 model..i worked 4.6 model can do all that the worked fox can do and thats not sayin any big news all i see there is no innovation and there is no real gain in performance for those who to d oa project car....it my firm beleife that if it wasent for the SC on the 03 cobra model..my point would have really stuck out....and not to mention if they would have triied all motor it wouldent have been with a 4.6 engine and it would have been affordable........and its not like SC cant be purchased for the Fox and those usaully are rockets

irvgotti said:
it my firm beleife that if it wasent for the SC on the 03 cobra model..my point would have really stuck out....and not to mention if they would have triied all motor it wouldent have been with a 4.6 engine and it would have been affordable........and its not like SC cant be purchased for the Fox and those usaully are rockets
:lol: :lol: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

You CAN'T compare putting a supercharger on a pushrod 5.0 as compared to a supercharged modular 4.6.

Sure go ahead and put a Whipple on a stock 5.0 engine and put one on a stock 4.6 and see which one makes more power.

See which one "Rockets" more.....

The newer Modular 4.6 > Pushrod 5.0....period.

A lot of people have 99+ Mustangs, not necessarily Gt's or above...

irvgotti - The 99 Cobra will beat the maxima and 350z...neither one of those is trapping higher than 98-99mph in the low 14 second time frame. Even with the "underpowered" 99's...it still wins. Sorry again:(

Don't go by feel, again the brakes are smooth and precise...they will kill your stock fox. I'm sure the v6's could brake better if I were to guess...I bet that burns don't it...;)

04sleeper said:
Sure go ahead and put a Whipple on a stock 5.0 engine and put one on a stock 4.6 and see which one makes more power.

See which one "Rockets" more.....

That could get plain nasty...

irvgotti - Stock engine's in the 99+'s with 8-10lbs of boost are getting 350-390rwhp....find me a stock 5.0L with any kind of boost on a stock engine (that is reliable the least bit) that puts out that kind of power:)

5spd GT said:
A lot of people have 99+ Mustangs, not necessarily Gt's or above...

irvgotti - The 99 Cobra will beat the maxima and 350z...neither one of those is trapping higher than 98-99mph in the low 14 second time frame. Even with the "underpowered" 99's...it still wins. Sorry again:(

My sister has an '05 Maxima and my cousin has an '05 350. I've beaten both of them with my GT. They are quick, but i can edge them out. A cobra or Mach 1 should have no problem with those cars.

A friend of mine is pushing 8 pounds of boost on a 2V motor from a KB and putting down 380 rwHP (other supporting mods as well)

Then i have two friends with '03 Cobras with exhaust, pulley and tune on them putting 480HP to the wheels.

You start getting up to the 400-500HP level with a 5.0 and you risk splitting the block.

The latest N/A versions of the 4.6L are putting down 270-280HP to the wheels in stock trim. I'm referring to the Mach 1 motor and the new 3V 4.6L. I'd consider that to be pretty damn good 14 years into the existence of the motor.

I had a '93 Mark 8, which had a 4.6L DOHC motor making 280HP. This was the second year of existence of the 4.6L. WIth 100K miles on the motor i took it to the track and pulled off 14.8-14.9's all night. Not bad for a 3800 pound boat. With minimal mods i could have had the Mark 8 into the 13's with ease.

Irv it sounds like you base a lot of what you say on what you think. Thats fine and all but your opinion on this doesnt hold a candle to cold hard facts. Your saying the car isnt impressive because YOU dont think it is. It is because the numbers say it is, thats what Im getting at.

If you really a think a 99 Cobra is going to get beat by those cars you mentioned, time to hand over the driving duties to someone else. A WRX wont beat one if the driver is competant, an STI will by a slight bit, a Camaro by a little, but any 350Z, G35, Maxima will get beat handily. If you dont believe me, I dont know what to say other than I have been to tracks more so than classes at school (thats an exaggeration, but I have over 200 track passes of my own, easily, and dont race at every event, and just turned 21), so I would say I have seen a LOT of Mustangs (I mainly only go to Mustang events. Tasca Day, Fords @ Etown, FFW, NMRA, MHRA, etc...).

Oh well, Ford doesnt need to impress every fox owner (usually the guys who cant afford new cars anyway), and have done a great job keeping the Mustang alive and selling cars!

I'm not going to read all of this thread, but here's my input.

The 01 you're talking about is an automatic. It's probably not going to run any quicker than a 14.5 with a good driver. If you've got a fresh 5-spd 5.0 GT, you should be able to do that with a good driver. If you buy a notch or you put a just couple of minor mods, a stock auto '01 does not have the advantage.

I still believe that an LX notch 5spd 5.0 is every bit as quick as any 4.6L GT before 2005. A 5spd GT 5.0 is not, but so long as it's running right we're only talking an average of about .4 to .5 seconds - a huge margin for pros, but not much of a margin on the street. In this specific case, the auto 4.6 negates that advantage.

Chris

25thmustang said:
Irv it sounds like you base a lot of what you say on what you think. QUOTE]

Ive been stating over and over that i base my observations soley on what i WITNESS<<<---{keyword}... if u read carfully maybe ud understand better.....like your little buddy here your twisting things ive have been stating to promote your bias ways.....i was not told nor read or hyped up too...mustang entusiat has been hyped up and lied for so many years with disapoinments and ive learn to see to believe.......

that red 1999 cobra is not my car i have drivin it to get a feel for it...and yes i WITNESS <---(theres the key word again) in the street a Infiniti G35 and a nissan 350z tho lost give hell to my friends 99 cobra...that shouldent happen...remember this is a "COBRA"...the nissan maxima tho didnt beat that cobra but it was closer then we both expected and for a luxury car to creep up alittle it 90 MPH was alittle suprising....the evo and wrx at my workplace tore a new a-HOle to his cobra wich i expected itto ........and as of 5thgen Z28 camaro's beating the 99 cobra's i think everyone in the world knows that so well keep that out of it .ive even seen huge 95 impalas stand strong on him (most likely worked) but noneof the less still a ego shifter.....once again my fox body budies represented and redeamed the mustang name and defeated the wrx and evo (highway and drag) and camaro's <---Drag only----the fox body is still depended on to represent ford mustang after all these years... weather u build it for drag or handeling it represents with athority and still demands respect..while the hype of the 4.6 still fluries im still wating to be impressed as many others...

second test was my stock brakes on fox and the 99 cobra and yes it did stop shorter about 10 feet ...like i said i would take it back and so i did

irvgotti - Stock engine's in the 99+'s with 8-10lbs of boost are getting 350-390rwhp....find me a stock 5.0L with any kind of boost on a stock engine (that is reliable the least bit) that puts out that kind of power

Well, there is this local guy making 413 RWHP...stock cam, bone stock untouched heads, with a stock 94 5.0L block...

http://www.steelcitystangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3163

:)

...and that's 413 RWHP through a bone stock, power sucking AODE...you'd probably see another 20-25 put down if it were a five speed.

while the hype of the 4.6 still fluries im still wating to be impressed as many others...

Oh please. Go to www.steelcitystangs.com and witness the sheer mind-numbing number of 10 and 11 second bolt-on 03/04 Cobras on there...

The 4.6 is a bad mother****er, and quite honestly, is superior to the old Windsors as far as sheer ability to build and maintain power.

The Windsors are only better in that they are cheaper to buy and build and simpler to work on.

the torque of a 5.0 is more fun though.

I totally agree.

I've owned two 4.6s- a 99 GT and a 96 Thunderbird.

I really like my 5.0 alot better...that rush of torque just "does it" for me.

Plus, I like how easy it is to work on my 5.0...and no 4.6 rumbles like a 5.0 does....I much prefer the 5.0. :D

However, I can't deny the fact that the modulars really seem to have overtaken the Windsors now-a-days...there are so many fast DOHCs out there with minimal work, it's mind blowing.

Swarzkopf said:
Well, there is this local guy making 413 RWHP...stock cam, bone stock untouched heads, with a stock 94 5.0L block...

http://www.steelcitystangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3163

:)

...and that's 413 RWHP through a bone stock, power sucking AODE...you'd probably see another 20-25 put down if it were a five speed.

Um...how many lbs of boost;) I'm talking bone stock engine...no intake...it all adds up. So how many lbs of boost:)

Status
Not open for further replies.