5.0 vs 4.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Here is what I see...

On an average situation:
99+ will be faster than the 87-93 cars. More power, smoother power, GREAT torque and power curve, and not that much heavier. Not to mention newer, and less mileage.

Specific Situation:
In these scenarios the 5.0 could definately be faster. Especially when talking modded cars. There are some very fast 5.0 cars out there and slow 4.6 cars. On the other side there are fast 4.6s and slow 5.0s. In each seperate scenario the winner is not gaurenteed by the averages...

BUT averages are there to give you an idea. And that says the 4.6 will win.

Brian is right on...

About the video: The gears DO NOT negate the use of the cobra intake, throttle body and underdrives. We all know those are decent mods for the 5.0L. So how does a 3:27 over a 3:08 make it negate those mods. That is like the difference between 3:55's and 3:73's...lol. Nothing major at all...the notch also had the headers...and a bit lighter...plus the we do not know the condition of the driver in the 4.6L...the guy in the notch was good. Also what mph did the roll start at? Was it optimum for the 5.0L or the 4.6L?

Plus, that car was hanging with the h/c/i car (a bit slow on the shifting)...but no surprise.

You can either take people's opinions, or those who have owned both and drove them daily/raced.:)

Oh and I love it when some bring up the "best" time and compare it to an average time...;)

Noone said anything about a 3.27 gear negating the TB, Intake and UDs 5spd GT, you may want to read the post a little slower next time :nice: I said both cars had exhaust mods and while the 5.0 had shorty headers, the GT had slightly more gear (and I made no mention of the GT's K&N, which while not much of a mod, has shown to be worth a few horses) thereby leaving the Intake/TB/UD mods to the 5.0 which was obviously enough in this race to provide a clear win. Amazing how quickly a few select mods made up the gap from the "stock vs stock" matchup on paper :) again reinforcing my earlier opinion of tapping into the potential of the 5.0

And I agree, folks should always be weary of those who claim to be experts simply because they have driven friends and family cars.

I also notice how you conveniently add that the 5.0 was lighter yet forgot to add that the notch was also less aerodynamic and drag plays a definitive role as speeds increase, but you took physics I'm sure.

As 25th stated, averages are just that, and are only meant to be general indicators - not predictions. Yet some people have a hard time handling it when things don't fit nicely into the law of averages.;)

Kind of funny how you didn't mention the less weight either;) Huh...

Some need to get out of the old school world, when the "new stuff" is kicking tail:nice:

As you can tell by the track times of that notch...that is not "average"...that is a really good driver. So we take an seemingly average 4.6 driver and we start at an unknown mph...and see one video

What family cars? I have OWNED/DROVE/RACED/DAILY DROVE both:D Ask any of my 5.0L buddies, ask any of my 4.6L buddies, want me to give you their username on here? They'll back me up...

My friend with 00 Gt 5spd (leather, mach 460, spare tire, etc...) ran the 1/8 mile at 81mph with prochamber/dumped flows/shifter. Pulled off the street and into the drag strip and ran just like that, no tricks.

99+j's trap 99-101mph with a good driver.

Stock 5.0L's trap 93-96mph depending on trim with a good driver. Got to make that up with modifications;) Poor 5.0L's....

Old school is just that, old:)

Also, who claimed to be an expert?

Some people have a hard time when father time catches up to them...or their cars...let me guess the 454 ls6 is unbeatable:rlaugh:

Stock for stock...4.6L wins.

I had 3:73's, all the bolt-ons, full exhaust in my lx. It still trapped 1mph less than my 00 Gt with prochamber, catback. I wasn't really the best driver with either, but the same:nice: That is comparing best times to best times...

When given equal drivers with a 99+ and a stock 5.0L...99+ wins...what a shock...

:jaw:

Speeds - what mph did the race start at?

C. Harris: I'm willing to put in some money for you to get a ticket (and to miss your job) and meet me in Little Rock. I'll get my friends stock 03 gt 5spd (charcoal..yum yum) and you find you a stock 5.0L or mild bolt-on and will race...I will guarantee victory:nice:

5spd GT said:
Brian is right on...

About the video: The gears DO NOT negate the use of the cobra intake, throttle body and underdrives. We all know those are decent mods for the 5.0L. So how does a 3:27 over a 3:08 make it negate those mods. That is like the difference between 3:55's and 3:73's...lol. Nothing major at all...the notch also had the headers...and a bit lighter...plus the we do not know the condition of the driver in the 4.6L...the guy in the notch was good. Also what mph did the roll start at? Was it optimum for the 5.0L or the 4.6L?

Plus, that car was hanging with the h/c/i car (a bit slow on the shifting)...but no surprise.

You can either take people's opinions, or those who have owned both and drove them daily/raced.:)

Oh and I love it when some bring up the "best" time and compare it to an average time...;)

The driver in the 03 GT was actually shifting pretty fast, it was a 40 roll. Headers dont do ALOT on the 5.0 and shortys are proven to not do much on a stock 2v car. About expected, my 88 GT with similar mods would pull my friend's 00 GT that had a filter, offroad h pipe and Flowmasters from a low roll, a 40 roll, even both of us rolling in 5th gear at 70 all the way to 150. I also ran another GT with the same mods from 40ish in my 88 GT and beat em by seveal cars more than once. The Notch is lighter but it's not aero and it doesnt have a fancy electric fan from the factory either. ;)

Bone stock to bone stock the 99-04 should win but if you do the basic mods to both, get the cats off, exhuast, free mods, they get ALOT closer, do all the boltons (intake manifold for the 5.0, plenum & tb for the 4.6 and they run closer at the track but the 4.6 might start to pull from a roll, not 100% yet, trap speeds are close).

The 4.6 can make more power with boltons though but the area under the curve isnt as good, they do respond to gears which kind of negates this. My friend's 03 GT has put down 269 rwhp, boltons, stock manifolds. The notch in the video is probably in the 240-250 rwhp range.

Speeds8erM-1 said:
The driver in the 03 GT was actually shifting pretty fast, it was a 40 roll. Headers dont do ALOT on the 5.0 and shortys are proven to not do much on a stock 2v car. About expected, my 88 GT with similar mods would pull my friend's 00 GT that had a filter, offroad h pipe and Flowmasters from a low roll, a 40 roll, even both of us rolling in 5th gear at 70 all the way to 150. I also ran another GT with the same mods from 40ish in my 88 GT and beat em by seveal cars more than once. The Notch is lighter but it's not aero and it doesnt have a fancy electric fan from the factory either. ;)

Bone stock to bone stock the 99-04 should win but if you do the basic mods to both, get the cats off, exhuast, free mods, they get ALOT closer, do all the boltons (intake manifold for the 5.0, plenum & tb for the 4.6 and they run closer at the track but the 4.6 might start to pull from a roll, not 100% yet, trap speeds are close).

The 4.6 can make more power with boltons though but the area under the curve isnt as good, they do respond to gears which kind of negates this. My friend's 03 GT has put down 269 rwhp, boltons, stock manifolds. The notch in the video is probably in the 240-250 rwhp range.

If that notch were to race my friend Matt's 00 Gt, it would not pull like that.

40mph isn't a bad role for either...

Just compare trap for trap...and equal vs. equal...the 4.6L wins.

Shorties helped my car out, I did feel a sotp feel to them...1 5/8in. mac shorties...i did them along with a shifter and gained (iirc) 1.5 mph?

Any accessory deletes on the notch? they didn't go up to that fast of a speed where aerodynamics would be a sig. difference. Also I believe the drag coefficients of the notch and 99+ sn95 are quite similar during Ford R&D testing...:shrug:

5spd GT said:
If that notch were to race my friend Matt's 00 Gt, it would not pull like that.

40mph isn't a bad role for either...

Just compare trap for trap...and equal vs. equal...the 4.6L wins.

Shorties helped my car out, I did feel a sotp feel to them...1 5/8in. mac shorties...i did them along with a shifter and gained (iirc) 1.5 mph?

Any accessory deletes on the notch? they didn't go up to that fast of a speed where aerodynamics would be a sig. difference. Also I believe the drag coefficients of the notch and 99+ sn95 are quite similar during Ford R&D testing...:shrug:

Well the 269 rwhp 03 GT runs .3 faster on the MPH scale than the 93 Notch, 82.56 for the notch, 82.86 for thje 03 GT and hell my friend's 87 GT ran 82.13 with a stock intake manifold. The Cobra Intake probably isnt helping as much with the stock 55mm maf anyway. Shortys might have helped your car that has, heads, cam and such but it doesnt do alot on a stock headed car, if you mean on a 4.6 shortys have been proven to not add 2 hp unless the car is highly modded. LT's help some though.

No accessory deletes on the notch, full ac, power steering, radio, every power option, even the clutch fan (the efan he put on had some wiring issues so it was removed 24 hours later) at the track he did have his sway bar off but on the street runs the other night it was on so it was about as full weight as it gets for that car. The notchback is the least aerodynamic of the 87-93 fox bodys, the shape of the rear is horrible for aero, 99-04 is supposed to be better than any of the fox body stuff.

A buddy of mine bought his mothers bone stock 87 gt 5spd with 70k miles on it, bone stock down to the air silencer and 3.08's. Said buddy had a 347 82 hatch so he wanted to leave it mostly stock anyway.

Another buddy bought a 00gt brand new in 00, also a 5spd.

Both parties got the cars within 2-3 weeks of one another

With the temp tags on the 00gt at GIR he went a best of 13.9 @ like 101 with a 2.1-2.0 60ft.

the 87 gt went 13.9 @ 100 with a 2.1-2.2 60ft pulling the 4.6 outa the hole and until the 1/8th then the 00 started pulling and ended up like even or just a fender ahead. This is also how many hwy runs ended up.

While pulling the air silencer and bumping the timing up later that night at home he found a half roll of paper towles jamed between the air filter and silencer...and it ran a 13.9 like that!

the SD foxes were quicker so maybe thats why. But stock for stock they were REAL close.

Now an auto that is stock v. a mass air fox 5spd. that has a 5.0 in decent shape sounds like a good race for both and anyones game.

Well you don't see "stock" very often...you never know:shrug:

99+ beats a stock 5.0L in equal trim in every performance category.

Radio is not an accessory, I was talking about engine accessories, something that actually effects performance...I'm guessing his smog pump was off since you didn't mention it.

Oh, and the shorties were with stock heads, cam, intake...

5spd GT said:
Well you don't see "stock" very often...you never know:shrug:

99+ beats a stock 5.0L in equal trim in every performance category.

Radio is not an accessory, I was talking about engine accessories, something that actually effects performance...I'm guessing his smog pump was off since you didn't mention it.

Oh, and the shorties were with stock heads, cam, intake...

Radio is weight. He has no smog, we dont require it here. The 4.6 doesnt have a smog pump driven by the engine does it? You didnt pick up 1.5 MPH with shortys, you either improved on driving or ran in better weather. Alot of people do more mods and think they picked up when they are finally running what they should have ran anyway.

just for ****s, my 89 with my mods in the sig dogs my cousins 99GT slushbox till about 100. The top end i cant compete with and he'll reel me in. But honestly his stock 4.6 with 10k on it is not very quick at all. its also boring as hell and every other azzclown on the road has one. supercharged and built 4.6's are cool, but unless its a terminator, its not for me... :D

oh, who cares how fast you are after 100, who really takes it that high up often on the street?

Speeds8erM-1 said:
Stock 5 Sped 87-93 5.0 is gonna beat down a 99-04 automatic. The automatics are a bit slower than the 5 speed cars, they usually run 9.4-9.5's@74-76 MPH.

That is funny. So you compare the 1/8th mile isntead of the quarter mile. The 4l60e's run upwards of 97-98mph. Not a 5spd 5.0L on average nor a auto for sure.

So what exactly is a beat down on a 4.6L when the 4.6L wins. Lets just say for grins that the 5.0L's win, so 1,2, or 3 mph is a "beatdown"...

You are now losing credibility speed:D

Status
Not open for further replies.