5.0 vs LS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just stating a fact. LT1 puts out more low end than the LS1. Pull up all the internet dyno's you want. But like I said, I really don't care. I am a Ford guy and you are not changing my mind. I don't support putting chevy parts in a Ford.

LOL awwwwwwwwwwww :D

great way to be close minded! Never said u had to do it to your car, but u cant even respect the other side?

And like i said, what is more? the bottom line is the LT1 is INFERIOR to the LSseries because you cant find 1 example of guys switching backwards. The LS-series can hold its own down low, because its not a night and day difference. ESPECIALLY when cars get gears in the back.

If both cars are enjoyable to drive around town, then when we are at the track u MIGHT get ahead in the LT1 in 1st gear, but if u see tail lights by the end of 2nd.....what good is that tiny edge of torque down low?

Ya cant focus on one specific area of the RPM band...thats how u end up disappointed. Didnt you focus on the high end of your current motor? Now u are back tracking to make the low end better? I'd say the LS-series motors do a damn good job at covering the WHOLE rpm band. Yea they may give up 10ft-lbs down low, but mid and upper rpm changes verrrrry quickly.

Motor to motor the torque will differ by that much with the same combo. The dyno will make it differ. This isnt about dyno racing...but to simply see what the trends are. I told you the LT1 has more torque down low...but its nothing to brag about because the LS1 is not lacking torque at all.

But then you compare a LT1 to a LS2....... :eek:

and thats when guys shut their doors, turn off the lights, and put on headphones and say to themselves "i bleed ford blue i bleed ford blue i bleed ford blue". The LT1 has nothing on a LS-series engine. :p

• Sponsors (?)

Mustangs have more class, period.

Gotta love stereotypes LMAO.

The LS1 guys i know are pretty cool....:shrug:

As to cubes vs blower, thats subjective and opinion/preference as much as my Ford preference. Fact is the cobras blow away the ls1's factory - period and is arguably a much better design and package.

Like i said, i was simply saying its IMPRESSIVE to do blower numbers in a N/A package. Im not saying N/A is better than a blower. Some guys love n/a...some love blowers. Im just saying on paper, its impressive what the n/a motors put out compared to the blown counterpart.

The other thing to keep in mind is the cost....how much does a Shelby cost now a days? I rarely see shelbys. Part of the beauty of a cobra in the past was that the average joe could get it....maybe its the economy, but i dont see average joes running a shelby. 03/04 cobras still cost a pretty penny.

So yes, Ford did bring a new king to the battlefield starting in 2003. I tried finding that pic of the f-body's lined up facing the one 03 Cobra....

But if 90% of mustang enthusiasts run the GT's....what good is braggin on a car that most cant even afford? GM has a mustang gt counterpart....and who wins that comparison? The mustang needs a blower to compete. And thats limited because it doesnt have the strong factory shortblock...so the GM boys will compete N/A.

At the end of the day it is what u prefer as a package, but it just doesnt make sense to act like the LS1 is a internet monster.

shoot, look at the vette and whats been done with that in the last 10 years....

I have no loyalty when it comes to Ford vs. GM. My favorite car is a black WS6 from 98-02. I love my mustang and that car for different reasons. They both have and do things the other cant. At the end of the day i love cars....unique cars. If that means swapping motors...then swap em!

My only real "preference" comes in when u bring in foreign crap....until then, GM....Ford....who cares. They both are american muscle.

Anyhow, :SNSign:

Ok..:shrug:

Let's address your charges and lets move on for the OP sake. :SNSign:

on stereo-types - they are true in most cases. I know that's not "politically correct" but true. Do the research and you will understand.

:OT: "The LT1 has nothing on a LS-series engine." yes it does, it has more low end TQ.

----------
Attack on my car and combo - "knock on my door"

:OT: I can build a 4cyl to "knock" on you Chevy guys and your LS1 and my 414. So what? Now, as to your graphs, make sure your ls1 has tuning issues and my heads and my compression ratio then we will compare the graph. :) BUT in the end, all things equal, c.i. wins N/A. Its simple math. No more rabbit trails for you.

:OT: "Didnt you focus on the high end of your current motor? Now u are back tracking to make the low end better?"
This has nothing to do with the original posters concerns.

I'd say the LS-series motors do a damn good job at covering the WHOLE rpm band.
No, not compared to a bigger inch motor like mine as you are attempting to compare. Its not apples to apples and not fair for me to honestly compare my c.i. to a smaller ls1. All things equal, c.i. wins N/A and my engine will win but again off topic and unequal comparison.

Yea they may give up 10ft-lbs down low, but mid and upper rpm changes verrrrry quickly. "
So. :shrug: That is your preference. My point is that the LT1 puts out more low end.

:OT: I am proud of my Ford Mustang, my numbers and my friends here. Nate, you are starting to worry me with all your digging...I might be going back to the drug theory if you keep going....my apologies for rattling your chain. I had no idea you were so die hard.

Now go outside and enjoy the day if it is a nice one!

pokageek-albums-album-picture3557-images.jpeg
lol.

i can see a :lock: coming ...

again, most of the comparisons being made here are not in the apples to apples category. there are just too many differences.

the main thing i see that could be considered an apples to apples comparison is a factory Ford 351 compared to a factory GM LTx, given that the cubes are similar and the time frames when they were manufacturing them overlap.

at the end of the day, i have to say that i come down more on nate's side in that i am at the core a car guy. i like performance cars and cool automotive stuff (like that toyota engine), no matter where they come from ... not just fords. sure, there were reasons why i picked ford as the platform for my car, and i have no regrets at all, but that doesn't take away from the cool stuff other car companies have and do.

so even though i prefer Ford over GM as a whole, i don't see any reason to not give credit where credit is due. .. the LS1 is a very good motor as it comes out of the factory.

is it the best motor ever built? um, no
compared to the LT1, does it make up in the top end what it gives up on the bottom end? i think so, and more
is it possible to build a Ford based motor that will make as much or more power? of course
can you compare the built Ford motor to the LS1? that's not apples to apples anymore

come on, it's not too hard to say it. GM's stock LS1 is a very good motor.

I happen to know someone personally who built a fox with a BUILT ls-1 in it that runs in the very high 8s. Now I personal would never want a car like that but you have to respect a car running in the 8s regardless of how it was done

Just for reference, Ford did make a 4.6 with 400hp n/a. It was the engine they built for the FR500. That engine was suposed to go into the 03' Cobra, but Ford opted to put a blower motor in the car due to the popularity of the blown Lightnings.

Kurt

My buddy has an 04 gto with the ls1 in it and I dont think that its really all that fast. Its all stock except for some headers and a catback. Ive raced him multiple times now and I smoke the crap out of him everytime lol, he gets so mad. He gets me off the line everytime though cause hes got traction control. And ive beat my share of vettes. Not the brand new ones of course, I dont even screw with those lol. Maybe in the future when Im running more boost and have a better tune:nice:

You got some pretty serious mods there. It's not surpising you beat a GTO. Those cars are really slow for some reason. I guess it's mainly because they are so heavy.

Kurt

My buddy has an 04 gto with the ls1 in it and I dont think that its really all that fast. Its all stock except for some headers and a catback. Ive raced him multiple times now and I smoke the crap out of him everytime lol, he gets so mad. He gets me off the line everytime though cause hes got traction control. And ive beat my share of vettes. Not the brand new ones of course, I dont even screw with those lol. Maybe in the future when Im running more boost and have a better tune:nice:

They were much improved with the LS2 in 05 :nice:

And lookie what i found here on my local forum:

Livernois 383 LS1 in 2004 Cobra - Video - Motown Muscle

Built LS1 in a 03/04 cobra race car.

And lookie what i found here on my local forum:

Livernois 383 LS1 in 2004 Cobra - Video - Motown Muscle

Built LS1 in a 03/04 cobra race car.

Now that's just WRONG! :eek: I can tolerate a LSx GT/LX/V-6/etc., but a 03/04 Cobra??? :(

I've been looking into building a V-8 Miata for the last couple years, and I'm starting to lean towards a LSx motor. Small engine, big power N/A, and good fuel economy FTW. I was looking at the flyin' miata site yesterday and one of their 350-400hp LS1(6?) cars got 34mpg on the highway. :eek: I doubt I could build a 5.0/347 with 400hp, 34mpg, and drives like stock. :(

That project will probably never happen because I'd have to sell my stang to fund it. :(

I'm curious to see how the new 5.0 "Coyote" engine will perform. Supposedly it puts out close to 400hp with fuel economy similar to the 4.6, and looks like it's physically smaller/lighter than the 4.6 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.