5.0's are getting old! I mite go Modular

GTOreturns

Oct 1, 2003
West Coast Best Coast
Guys where beating a dead horse! :dead: 5.0's are losing there performance status!
We need a good H/C/I to give us 320 RWHP. And the sound which attracted me since they were new is getting old. Ever hear a modded modular with a killer exhaust system? A 5.0 can hold a candle to it anymore! :nonono: Now the new ones are making a big splash in the looks department and performance wise. An 03/04 Cobra? Nuff said there. I dont know,they dont drive as nice,they dont handle as nice, and they certainly are less comfurtable. We will think nothing of sinking 15 grand + to mod them but we are throwing our money out the windows! Because youll never get it back on a trade in! Im talking DD's. If you going all out with a motor/tranny/rear/roll bar, ect,,, then ok. But the attraction I am losing!:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Im talking DD's.

That's your problem. As cars age, they go down in price until they become desired classics. It's common sense.

These cars are worth more as hobby cars. Foxes can fetch a decent price if they're not in DD condition.

If you go mod, at least get an S197; cause if you get anything older, you'll be making this same thread about the fox chassis cars in a year.

That's your problem. As cars age, they go down in price until they become desired classics. It's common sense.

These cars are worth more as hobby cars. Foxes can fetch a decent price if they're not in DD condition.

If you go mod, at least get an S197; cause if you get anything older, you'll be making this same thread about the fox chassis cars in a year.

I dont see 5.0's going up in price for another 10 years. If I tuck it away some where starting it up once a month I mite fetch a little more then I paid for it in 5+ years.

Kind of funny you mention it, because the 4.6 aftermarket is one of the reasons why I didn't go with those cars.

You check out the 4.6 aftermarket and the main performance items are cold-air (which is debatable in whether you get actual performance gains from it), exhaust, gears, and forced induction. H/C/I combo? Almost unheard of, search up most major parts manufacturers and compared to the 5.0 market, there's still very little out there. For example I know of only Ford Racing and Sean-Hyland Motorsport that does them, though there maybe a few more.

Okay, so that mainly leaves forced induction, but from what I've seen over the past few years, the gains from them are about equal to that of a forced-induced 5.0. Top that off with the lack of internal parts on the market to beef-up your engine for crazier setups (I have to dig through so many catalogs before I actually find connecting rods, pistons, etc. for those cars) means the horsepower is some what capped to about 400 HP without wrecking something.

To be fair, the 5.0 has been around for so long which is why the aftermarket is so large. Hopefully with time, we'll see more H/C/I related parts out there.

Oh, and for sound, that's really opinion. I personally like the way 5.0's sound better then 4.6s, though the latter does sound more refined.

not to sound rude but it sounds like your 5.0 might be a real peice of crap. I dont know about yours but mine is mint, black on black and is a bad mofo. I think 5.0's are meant for the quarter mile. With 5- 10 k into the engine you could blow away anything that gets into your path. Yeah if you have faded paint, tore up seats, ****ty trim inside the car and duct tape holding your head unit to the dash than yeah, you should go modualr. My 5.0 is only a weekend warrior and I plan on keeping it till i go to the grave. This is my 3rd stang. One of which was 03 cobra. 5.0 ftw. Sell your 5.0 now. Your not worthy

not to sound rude but it sounds like your 5.0 might be a real peice of crap. I dont know about yours but mine is mint, black on black and is a bad mofo. I think 5.0's are meant for the quarter mile. With 5- 10 k into the engine you could blow away anything that gets into your path. Yeah if you have faded paint, tore up seats, ****ty trim inside the car and duct tape holding your head unit to the dash than yeah, you should go modualr. My 5.0 is only a weekend warrior and I plan on keeping it till i go to the grave. This is my 3rd stang. One of which was 03 cobra. 5.0 ftw. Sell your 5.0 now. Your not worthy

Yeah, you missed the whole point. If you think you found something better than your 5.0, you weren't a 5.0 guy in the first place. Keep looking, someday you'll find a car that doesn't age, always goes faster than the latest thing out there, and costs less than all the competition, forever. Glad the old timers didn't give up on the 60's musclecars, I'd never learned how cool a hobby this is. Teaching my son on my 5.0, and he'll always think they're as cool as I do.

i kinda disagree with allot of what your saying. i do know that 03/04 cobras are impressive as well as the sn-95 chassis for dd status. it just takes so much more of everyting to run a fox. people with hondas have no idea how i pay for my car.

the people that tell me i have anice car are the ones that know i have a ton of man hours into it and money to keep it top shape...

Fox cars are already going up in value around here for really nice ones. Owning both, I can tell you that there's no substitute for the sound and grunt of a built pushrod engine, not even the Kenne Bell-blown 4.6 in my wife's Cobra. I'll own my 93 until I can't drive anymore.

I dont see 5.0's going up in price for another 10 years. If I tuck it away some where starting it up once a month I mite fetch a little more then I paid for it in 5+ years.

Fox Mustangs still do a lot better than most cars of the same year, as far as value. Only the '94-'96 Impalas seem to do better since those cars never dropped far from the $15,000 mark.

But how fast do you think a newer car will depreciate?

Before my '01 got totalled and I got the '95, I really wanted an '05 GT 'vert. But now that I have the '95, I'm having just as much fun for only $6,000; including, purchase, mods, and maintenance. I may be slower, but I don't race anyways, it's just fun cruising around.
I REALLY don't see the point in getting another SN. I can see the 99-04 GT's taking a price dive in a year or so, as used S197 GT's become more plentiful. The Mach I's may do okay, but it seems like the Bullitts and Terminators may be the only SN cars to hold strong in the market(besides Cobra R and tuner models).

If I have to get a "newer" car in a year or two, I'm gonna have to look at an ~'01 M5, or an ~'04 S60-R. The M5 will always be a somewhat desirable car, even the older models, and the R-model Volvos are all that is left of the brand trying to break into the driving enthusiast market. It's too bad the typical Volvo owner was too uptight for a 300hp, 6-spd sedan.:nonono:

The biggest problem I have with the newest stuff out there is that it is so dang expensive to work on. A decent H/C/I combo on a mod motor is going to cost you nearly double that of a fox for about the same power gain. Not to mention it's fun as hell taking a fox that's 20 years old and building it well enough to smoke the newest baddest stuff without even working up a sweat. As for the sound of the 5.0's, I don't think I could ever get tired of that sound in a million years. Granted tons of stuff new and old out there sounds damn nice, but I haven't heard an S197 car yet that I thought sounded as sweet as a good old pushrod 5.0 motor. I'll just simply never get tired of the classics. As far as the value going up is concerned, I think the value will eventually be there for ones on great condition, but once it's that valuable I'd still probably hang on to it. Just my .02.

I'm trying to picture my dad saying "Sorry, son, the 69 GTO you've been learning on is a little old, you know, long in the tooth. It doesn't go as well as a couple of the newer cars out there, and parts, can you imagine, they want me to pay for them now. So I'm gonna sell it, or maybe donate it, cause its just too much trouble, and get a brand new payment book instead. Ok?" No, thats just too surreal. Wouldn't, couldn't happen. And thank the Lord, never did.

Also what car are you gonna be able to buy for around 5000dollars with relativly low miles considering the year, put $1000 into it and run high 12s or $2500 and run 11s???Plus these foxbodys only weigh close to 3000lbs give or take 150lb. There is way more aftermarket than any other cars out there for the 5.0