5.9 Dakota???

Traitor5150

Jan 26, 2004
I know im probbaly gona get bashed for this but here it goes. My farther owns a Chrysler Jeep/Dodge dealership And i drive a 94 mustang gt vert HCI bolts ons's runs high mid to hi 13's. But is is not very practical for me I like to ride quads and im a firefighter so I need something that I can fit my gear plus strobes and id like a light bar. I have strobes in the mustang but the car is so low damn suv's cant see me. Plus my family has a mopar dealship and a chevy dealership so to them owning a for is being a traitor lol. We took in trade a nice extended cab dakota 5.9 has 59 k on it I can buy it for under 5 grand... What do you think anyone here know anything about these trucks i know they can be made really fast but how hard is it? Am I crazy??? :banana:

• Sponsors (?)

as long as you dident trade in the Mustang for the truck then I dont see why you would think that you would get any greif from us. It may be a Mustang sit but not everyone only drives Ford for every car/truck they own.

Is the Dak a R/T or is it the quad cab with the 5.9?

If it is the R/T there were some issues with towing and bed capacity, make sure your quad will work.

Mileage will get worse (I have an '03 with the 4.7l v8 and my mustang is my mileage car, heck it gets better mileage then my wifes jeep grand cherokee with the 4.7l v8).

As for making the 5.9 quick, they are like the old 4.6l 2v motors, they don't respond well to H/C/I from what I have seen. Best bang for yoru buck is a manual trans swap (chrysler auto's can be real PITAs) and a supercharger...

Jsut my opinion.

Now in addition to your stang I say it is a perfect vehicle, in place of I would look for a whatever is cheap enough to allow you to keep the stang...

Chris

an R/T dakota can be made to be pretty damn fast but it will definately cost some $. alot more than it would to do any Mustang. you can get heads, new intake and a few other odds/ins directly from any dealer. you can basically do any upgrade that you can on a Mustang. blowers, cams, whatever. just be prepared to pay heavily.

my mom has an 01 durango with the same motor.....when my dad ordered it for her, he was thinkin about selling his bronco (tow vehicle for his chevelle), and using the durango for towing, so he ordered the towing package and the upgraded suspension ni teh durango as well as the 5.9 motor, which in 02, they changed teh name of that durango to the R/T.....its an auto, but it has 3.73's and i think its pretty quick.....got some nice low end grunt :nice:

My roomate has the jeep grand cherokee with the 5.9L, and the damn thing is a gas hog, runs really well but heavy on gas. He has the K&N filter system, exhaust, and a comp reflash from the factory (so he can run 87 octane) pretty damn fast, and great towing. Only drawback is the gas mileage!!

I think you could get the older body style Dakota with a 5.9 too? Maybe that was a 5.2.. Theres a pretty big aftermarket with the 5.9 motors.. I know its no Dakota but the 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokees are really bad ass SUVs.. Go to www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums and go to the Speed Freaks forum, they have alot of 5.9 Grands runnin mid 13's to mid 14's without alot of work in the motor itself, and they'll definatly tell you how easy it is to squeese some power out of the 5.9.

Dakotas where available with the 5.2 as the only V8 until 97 when they introduced the R/T(there was a non R/T model as well). the 5.9(245hp) is the same exact motor no matter what vehicle its installed in. the only difference was the cat-back exhaust installed on the R/Ts which accounted for the 250hp rating. the 5.9 will fit in the 96-older dakotas easily. I was actually considering doing a swap in mine but the cost to do it would be pretty expensive(I have the 3.9 V6). I could just put that money into my 6 and get it running alot quicker than it does now. I have heard of V8 dakotas running low 12's to mid 11's though if anyone ever wondered.