5 Lug Conversion Brakes

Png1978

5 Year Member
Dec 29, 2017
So got a 88 vert and the prior owners brother converted it to 5 Lug. It's time to do some brakes and I'm wondering what 5 Lug front Rotors to get. Would any 5 Lug rotor for a mustang work including say a cobra or Mach rotor?

I was looking at upgrading the pads to hawks or something similar.

So the rear they put 31 spline axles in and a eaton posi but they left the drums. I don't really plan on converting the drums at this time. However is there any way to improve on them other than some better lines for the rear? I'm problly going to just buy a complete rear drum rebuild kit.

I don't really race but I do drive allot. " 800 miles just last week and allot of that was in the mountains. So I want a little better stopping power and reliability.

• Sponsors (?)

Need pics of the front brakes to ID them. There are differences so you can't just use any rotors.

I'm gonna bet they are actually just the 5-lug conversion rotors which are 84-86 SVO 5-lug rotors, with stock calipers. Need a pic to confirm

Without taking the tire off that's what they look like. Let me know if you can't tell and I will take the tire off.

Need pics of the front brakes to ID them. There are differences so you can't just use any rotors.

I'm gonna bet they are actually just the 5-lug conversion rotors which are 84-86 SVO 5-lug rotors, with stock calipers. Need a pic to confirm

Attachments

• IMG_1471.JPG
    IMG_1471.JPG
    628.7 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_1473.JPG
    IMG_1473.JPG
    448.4 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1474.JPG
    IMG_1474.JPG
    475.2 KB · Views: 208
Yup. Just 5-lug conversion rotors. If they are 10.8" in diameter they are 84/86 SVO rotors. Assuming your car is an original V8 car, this is what they would be.

Brake pads would just be original fox stock pads.

Yup. Just 5-lug conversion rotors. If they are 10.8" in diameter they are 84/86 SVO rotors. Assuming your car is an original V8 car, this is what they would be.

Brake pads would just be original fox stock pads.

Yea it's a original V8 vert. So I just need 84/86 rotors then and a set of good pads. What about the rear Anything that can be done with them? lol I know drums suck but since they put nice axles in would not really want to swap them out just for the brakes.

There are ways to install disk brakes out back and keep those axles.

What's your ultimate goal with regards to brakes?

84-86 SVO or 84-92 Lincoln mark 7 front rotors are what you have

Well I just want a little better stopping power. I don't really race but I do drive allot and sometimes through really curvey mountains. The back ones are shot so I was just going to do a brake job front and back.

So my goal is better braking and I'm also going to improve the handling some. I have basically been restoring the car while I drive it.

Just finished with converting the red and white interior to black. Did the exhaust and fix to do the top to.

I just sold my last vehicle with drum brakes (99 Dakota beater), I never ever want to see drums again.
If you can afford it, swap them out to discs, you won't be sorry. You may not get race car braking from the change, but what you will get is consistency, reliability. and easy maintenance.
North race car brackets allow you to use 94+rear brakes and keep the stock length axles which is the better way of doing them anyway, this way you don't wheel issues with longer axles.

In a car as easy as a fox to convert to rear discs, I wouldn't put a dollar into drums.

Last edited:
You also need master cylinder, 3-2 conversion, various adapters, booster, brakes lines, parking brakes cables and a few other odds and ends.

Getting an SN95 swap done for under $1k is doable if you can get a good deal on junkyard parts. Might still bust the budget.

The north race car brackets you'll need for the rear to retain your current 31 spline axles are $170 alone.

http://www.northracecars.com/Brakes.html

Read through this to get an idea of the swap. This setup is Cobra specific but the GT/v6 brakes would be similar

https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-2300-K.pdf

Since you don't need the axles and axle bracket, grab the calipers rotors, anti moan brackets from any 94-04 v6 or GT. Also grab the parking brake retainer guides mounted to the control arm. If it's a 94-95, get the caliper soft lines as well. That should take care of the rear.

You still need much more though.

Reactions: 2 users
Maximum Motorsports makes a set of high performance shoes for the rear drums that will upgrade them about as much as possible. I run them on mine with good results.

Reactions: 1 users