5 Lug Conversion Questions

5LugFoxFanatic

LOVE AND PEACE!
Founding Member
I just got done installing the front disc brakes on my 86 today. I used a kit from Dave's Mustang parts. I did not have to grind down the spindle ears to accomodate the 99 Dual piston calipers so I can only assume that I have the 96-98 spindles which increase the track width by 8mm on each side. I hope this does not have any negative impact on the handling abilities of the car. I have not measured the rear axles yet, so I hope that I got the 94-98 and not the 99 and up ones, I do not want my tires sticking out that far. Does anyone know the length of the stock 4 lug axles and the lengths of the 94-98 and 99 and up? I want to know what I have before I put them in tomorrow.

My main concern or question is this. Everything is put together in the front except the passenger side brake line to hose connector. For some reason, my drivers side caliper and brake line bolted right up. I am using 99 and up calipers with a SN95 4 wheel disc kit. I believe that the calipers are SAE threads, and in 87 to the present they went to metric? Can someone confirm this? Does anyone know the fitting that I need to connect my stock brake lines to the 99 hose? Or where I can get one?

• Sponsors (?)

TriGun said:
Since I have an 86, I don't need all of that stuff you have listed.

So you are going to run four wheel disks with a drum brake master cylinder? Especially with the 99+ PBR's which require the most fluid out of any SN95 caliper? Good Luck with that. I would be amazed if you would even lock the wheels up when you stand on the pedal.

The only thing special with an 86 MC is that it's already a 2-port design. You still need to swap it out to a 4-wheel disk MC and any time you change the brake setup the stock proportioning valve is useless. So you need to gut it and run an aftermarket valve.

Mustang5L5 said:
So you are going to run four wheel disks with a drum brake master cylinder? Especially with the 99+ PBR's which require the most fluid out of any SN95 caliper? Good Luck with that. I would be amazed if you would even lock the wheels up when you stand on the pedal.

The only thing special with an 86 MC is that it's already a 2-port design. You still need to swap it out to a 4-wheel disk MC and any time you change the brake setup the stock proportioning valve is useless. So you need to gut it and run an aftermarket valve.

Where did I write that I am using a stock master cylinder and stock proportioning valve? I am using a 85 Lincoln Towncar MC and I bought an adj. pro. por. knob style valve from summit. I think I have everything I need. Why would I need to gut my valve? Isn't the one from Summit good enough? How many turns did you do when adjusting the rear brakes?

TriGun said:
Where did I write that I am using a stock master cylinder and stock proportioning valve? I am using a 85 Lincoln Towncar MC and I bought an adj. pro. por. knob style valve from summit. I think I have everything I need. Why would I need to gut my valve? Isn't the one from Summit good enough? How many turns did you do when adjusting the rear brakes?

Well to be fair you never said you weren't gonna use the stocker.

You need to gut the stock prop valve otherwise you will have two devices metering the flow of brake fluid. You need to simplify it with the plug. It's available from summit for $10. I forget the part number. The summit valve you have is good. It's made by Wilwood. That will be your method of proportioning the fluid from now on.

I forget how many turns I did. I beleive i started with all the way out and then turned in 4 times and went from there