5-lug conversion??

• Sponsors (?)

93stangTN said:
how do i go about doing this?? and where do i get the parts & how much does it usually run???

few ways to do it actually , I went the cheap cheap way , junkyard 75 bucks for 2 left ranger axles and drums and auto parts store for two 87 lincold mark 7 non abs rotors and longer studs , 7/16th inch MR. Gasket wheel spacers , and then new set of chrome lug nuts , but I would highly advice getting the SN95 stuff for the front because they have better brakes and you dont have to run spacers to get a better selection of wheels , if you are running aftermarket wheels you might not need the spacers , im running 02 GT bullit wheels though so I had to have them to get the center cap on

2 left axles from a 7.5-two drums.
front rotors from mark7.

thats it. no spacers needed, i've never heard that before. this conversion can uses most wheels that are not dished like newer style stuff.

for more wheels choiced the sn95 is the way to go. but i am happy with the el-cheapo junkyard conversion(exactly the same stuff as 50resto)

Hmm so what exactly do i need? Ill make a trip to the junkyard to do this since there are alot of rangers there.. why 2 left axles from a ranger?.. why not get all 4?

I am using 17x9 bullitts with this setup , you cant use any 17x8 oem ford wheels because they wont fit right. here is a pic of mine with the ebay setup

well the 97 and newer wheels i think

Attachments

• rim close 2.JPG
    rim close 2.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 79
So what is the benefit of going with the SN95 setup if the Lincoln rotors will work with the wheels you want?

Could you buy those rotors and use them with SN95 calipers later on (and if so would you also need SN95 spindles)? I definately want to upgrade my brakes to the later calipers, but I can't really afford a 5 lug setup with brakes + wheels and tires all at once. If I could do the 5 lug swap first and then upgrade my brakes later on that would be ideal...

Kerpal said:
So what is the benefit of going with the SN95 setup if the Lincoln rotors will work with the wheels you want?

Could you buy those rotors and use them with SN95 calipers later on (and if so would you also need SN95 spindles)? I definately want to upgrade my brakes to the later calipers, but I can't really afford a 5 lug setup with brakes + wheels and tires all at once. If I could do the 5 lug swap first and then upgrade my brakes later on that would be ideal...

The benefit of the SN95 setup is better braking beacuse of the better calipers, im currently going to change the front on my car to the SN95 stuff because i got a great deal on the spindels,rotors, and calipers. Other wise i got the wheels i wanted to put on with no problems. its just that i want better braking. :D

Mustang Yawie said:
The benefit of the SN95 setup is better braking beacuse of the better calipers, im currently going to change the front on my car to the SN95 stuff because i got a great deal on the spindels,rotors, and calipers. Other wise i got the wheels i wanted to put on with no problems. its just that i want better braking. :D

So you need SN95 spindles to use SN95 brakes then? Just wondering if buying the Lincoln rotors would be a waste, if I can't use them with SN95 calipers later on, I might as well wait and buy everything at once.

I'd really like to use Cobra brakes anyway, which use a larger rotor, just wondering what the other options are...

emagdnim said:
Hmm so what exactly do i need? Ill make a trip to the junkyard to do this since there are alot of rangers there.. why 2 left axles from a ranger?.. why not get all 4?

The left and right axles in a 83-92 Ranger 7.5" are different lengths. The left axle (driver side) from a Ranger happens to be the same length as both the left and right axle in the Mustang while offering 5 lugs instead of 4. The drums are the exact same diameter too, just 5 lug in stead of 4.

Kerpal said:
So you need SN95 spindles to use SN95 brakes then? Just wondering if buying the Lincoln rotors would be a waste, if I can't use them with SN95 calipers later on, I might as well wait and buy everything at once.

I'd really like to use Cobra brakes anyway, which use a larger rotor, just wondering what the other options are...

Don't waste your time on Lincoln rotors. You can use them if you are on a budget but your wheel options are limited to aftermarket and some earlier Mustang rims. See the link I posted above for wheel fitment information

cotayben said:
I got 2000 GT spindles with everything on them for a total of $106 at a local yard.

You could buy V6 Parts because they are the same as GTs and the junkyards will usually charge less for the V6 parts. In my opinion I would stick with 94-95 Spindles on the fronts.

Shakerhood said:
You could buy V6 Parts because they are the same as GTs and the junkyards will usually charge less for the V6 parts. In my opinion I would stick with 94-95 Spindles on the fronts.

Their is a small difference between the '94-'95 and the '96-'98 spindles. The '96-'98 spindles are about 5/16" (or 8mm) wider on each side.