5 lug convertion the right way

onpoint

May 26, 2003
Los Angeles
I have converted my 88 5.0 to 5 lug, but the kit the I order through Summit Racing can with a 5 lug rotor that replaces the 4 lug rotor. The problem with this is that if you want to up grade the brakes, to lets say a Brembo Gran Turismo kit, you can't because once you pull off the rotors you no longer have lugs to mount the wheel too. The proper way to do it would be changing the hub, spindle, and strut.

Does anyone know of a company who sells a 5 lug conversion that includes new hub, spindle, and strut.

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure I understand your problem. I used rotors up front from an SVO mustang. Scored them off of ebay for like 25 beans for the pair. Made a cheap 5 lug conversion to get me started. I'll do the sn95 later, if I need to. :spot:

baer sells hubs. but they probably wont be cheap. im doing the same and just putting the cobra brakes on right from the start. baer sells a complete kit for around 2k that gives you everything with cobra brakes. you can also get them off ebay. autozone sells hub assemblies but i dont know about the splindles.

gearheadboy said:
Not sure I understand your problem. I used rotors up front from an SVO mustang. Scored them off of ebay for like 25 beans for the pair. Made a cheap 5 lug conversion to get me started. I'll do the sn95 later, if I need to. :spot:

The problem is that on 5.0's the lugs are set in the rotor instead of the hub and spindle. The majority of cars have the lugs set in the hub and spindle, so when you buy a Big Brake upgrade you take off your old rotors, without removing the lugs, and you slid the new rotors on to the existing lugs. When you get a Big Brake Upgrade the new rotors do not come with lugs on them. They are designed to to slid over the original lugs coming out of the hub and spindle.