5 lug convo, misc questions

xplo89gt

Founding Member
Jul 14, 1999
Boston, MA
Heading to the parts store.. had a few questions...

I have 9" drums out of a ranger or aerostar. When I get new brake shoes, what year/make do I ask for? Are the current shoes on the mustang the same? As we are just changing the drums to fit 5lug?

Cotter pins... is there a specific size for the front brakes?

Banjo bolts, i dont think i got these (ill have to check), how much are they? do i get them for a 94/95 lx/gt ?

C-clips, 87-93 mustang rear diff c-clips ? nothing specific?

Gear oil, recommend on brands, and type? i think i have redline sythentic in there now, but didnt see it at the local store.

What do i need for seals/bearings?

Lastly, I've been taking a long time to do this install.. I noticed my axles are starting to rust a bit on the side that goes into the diff... is this ok? what's the best way to clean this up a bit without screwing it up?

I appreciate the help... kind of a random array of questions.

• Sponsors (?)

Use the same type of brake shoes that are on the mustang now. The drum is the same except it has 5 holes instead of 4. The seals and bearings for the back should also be the same. The axle diametere is not different. Use fine polishing cloth to clean off the rust. You will find it at the parts store next to the sandpaper. Use Royal Purple synthetic gear oil.
You can re-use the c-clips you currently have. I am not sure about the cotter pins, just get an asortment pack and you will be set. I am sorry I can not help on the banjo bolts. THye came with the lines on the 95 donor parts I got. I used 2004 brake calipers and was able to use the 95 lines by grinding one side of the end of the line. Good luck, you willl be pleased with the results.

xplo89gt said:
Are the current shoes on the mustang the same? As we are just changing the drums to fit 5lug?

Yes, you are correct. You still use the same brake shoes as on the Mustang.

xplo89gt said:
Cotter pins... is there a specific size for the front brakes?

Yes there is. I like to bring the old one with me to the store when buying new ones or if it is your daily driver just pick up an assortment of sizes. You can't have too many extra cotter pins. :D

xplo89gt said:
Banjo bolts, i dont think i got these (ill have to check), how much are they? do i get them for a 94/95 lx/gt ?

Not too sure how much they are but they can't cost too much. You shouldn't have to ask for anything different than your model year on this unless you are upgrading calipers to newer style. If you are just swapping rotors for 5 lug then you can just use your stock stuff.

xplo89gt said:
C-clips, 87-93 mustang rear diff c-clips ? nothing specific?

Just reuse your stock ones, they will work just the same.

xplo89gt said:
Gear oil, recommend on brands, and type? i think i have redline sythentic in there now, but didnt see it at the local store.

I like yo use the regular Ford gear oil with friction modifier, but synthetics should work fine as well.

xplo89gt said:
What do i need for seals/bearings?

Just order stock replacement seals and bearings for your year.

xplo89gt said:
Lastly, I've been taking a long time to do this install.. I noticed my axles are starting to rust a bit on the side that goes into the diff... is this ok? what's the best way to clean this up a bit without screwing it up?

I would use a wire brush or wheel on a drill to clean them back up. Then use some emory cloth to finish it up.

You don't need to, but if you are already there you might as well. I don't think you can do the inner ones without pulling the diff out, but the other ones can be done along with the seals. I beleive you need a tool for them. Forget the name though. I wanna say a slide hammer??

I just replaced the seals when I did my conversion. You do not need a special tool to remove the seal. Just use the end of the axle and pry the seal out. Hope this helps.

carlp said:
I just replaced the seals when I did my conversion. You do not need a special tool to remove the seal. Just use the end of the axle and pry the seal out. Hope this helps.

Me too, I just used a torch to heat it up a litle and a pair of channel lock pliers and was able to pull the seals out. I tried a slide hammer and all it did ws bend up the metal on the seal.