5 lug disc conv. ?

cotayben

Apr 11, 2005
I have all the rear brake parts off a 98 mustang and of course the axles are to long. Is there any way to make these work or could i use the correct length axles from a ranger-areostar?

• Sponsors (?)

I could be wrong, but I thought the 98 stuff and later was even wider than the SN95 stuff so I'm not sure the NCB's will work with those axles. Call NC and ask them if the calipers and stuff are the same as the SN95 stuff. If it is, you are $150 worth of brackets away from completing your conversion. By the way, its cheaper to buy all the parts at your local store than to get them straight from him. Just get the brackets. I work at Advance part time and I can get everything for $225. I already have 5-lug axles but if I had to get them it would be $225 for aftermarket axles, $225 for the brakes and $150 for the brackets. Thats $600 for everything brand new with better axles. He wants $750 plus shipping. I know you said you had everything already but I thought others would like to know that.

SmockDoiley said:
I could be wrong, but I thought the 98 stuff and later was even wider than the SN95 stuff

It's the 99-04 Mustangs that have the wider rear end.

The extra lenght was made up in the axle housings and longer axle shafts. That means the brake hardware is exactly the same.

You could use the rear disks off a 99-04 Mustang provided you get yourself a set of 94-98 axles. Even the NC brackets will work with it. It's just a matter of picking the right axle shafts.

The 98 axles aren't working. They are to far out from where the bracket bolts up. I talked to the guy from North before and he told me the 98's wouldn't work w/ his brackets. It looks to me that I would just need the original length axles and it would work but I want to make sure before I buy.

I just finished up my rear Cobra disc conversion tonight except for routing the handbrake cables away from the rear tires. And yes the axles do stick out further than the stock Fox ones, but in my opinion it filled out my fenderwells better with my Bullitt Wheels!

Shakerhood said:
I just finished up my rear Cobra disc conversion tonight except for routing the handbrake cables away from the rear tires. And yes the axles do stick out further than the stock Fox ones, but in my opinion it filled out my fenderwells better with my Bullitt Wheels!

In my opinion its better to use the longer 94-98 axles because it does in fact fill the wheel well better. In stock form, the fox mustangs have a shorter track width in the rear than the front, so if u look at them from behind they look funky. I did my 5 lug swap with some 94-98 axles and it looks great.

Here you can see how well it fills the wheel well with 17x8 rims and 245 tires.

rear_shot.jpg

copy_of_real_down_low.jpg

cotayben said:
The 98 axles aren't working. They are to far out from where the bracket bolts up. I talked to the guy from North before and he told me the 98's wouldn't work w/ his brackets. It looks to me that I would just need the original length axles and it would work but I want to make sure before I buy.

I don't see how that's possible. I have the same axles with a '02 GT rear disk setup. Works fine.

94-98 axles are all the same. It's the 99+ that are longer. I am 100% sure on this

nito88stang said:
In my opinion its better to use the longer 94-98 axles because it does in fact fill the wheel well better. In stock form, the fox mustangs have a shorter track width in the rear than the front, so if u look at them from behind they look funky. I did my 5 lug swap with some 94-98 axles and it looks great.

Here you can see how well it fills the wheel well with 17x8 rims and 245 tires.

rear_shot.jpg

copy_of_real_down_low.jpg
Your Car looks great! My Cars rear filled out nice like that too with the Bullitts on it.

cotayben said:
OK I have the axles in so what do I do about brake lines? Is there a place you recommend or do I just need the fitting sizes?

You did install the Caliper Brackets and dust shields prior to putting in your axles, right?