5 Lug Fox Experts In Here Please

5LugFoxFanatic

LOVE AND PEACE!
Founding Member
I need some expert advice from the pro 5 lug fox guys. Here’s my situation. I have 94-04 SN95 brakes on the front and 94-98 disc’s on the rear. I have an 86, so my car is different than you 87-93 guys. I do not have a 3 port brake block, so I was not in need of the 3-2 port conversion. Instead of doing the BB and MC from an SN95, I used a MC from a 85 Lincoln Towncar which has a 1 inch bore, the ideal setup, like the 93 cobra, with my stock BB. I purchased the 13” Cobra upgrade for the fronts and I am doing the rear brakes in Cobra’s as well because the SN95 regular brakes will not work with the IRS I am doing. So I am wondering if I should change over to the SN95 setup for better braking? My pedal is nice and firm, but it is nearly impossible for me to lock up to wheels. If I stomp on the brakes now, it comes to a stop very quickly, but I cannot lock them up. If I decide to go with the SN95 route, I will have to make room for the massive brake booster which I am not fond of. Since I have the 2 port block, I would just plug the SN95MC into my stock block right? Would having the bigger booster and MC really make a huge difference in the braking? Is it worth it for me to do?

• Sponsors (?)

The SN95 booster alone might make a huge increase in braking.

I know that guys who run the entire SN95 setup minus the booster always are impressed with the gains they get by simply swapping the booster.

The just change the Sn95 booster and then explore changing the MC if not satisfied.

You want a 94-95 booster. GT/V6 are the same but Cobra is slightly larger.

if you pedal is nice and firm and you say it stop quick whats the problem? to me locking the brakes up isnt that much fun... happens to me sometimes when i need to stop quick and its not that cool.

I too have an 86 I converted to 5lug/4wheel disc. I previously had used the lincoln MC, adj valve/gutted stock prop valve, stock booster, linclon/svo 73mm front calpers, and the steel tech caddy rear conversion:notnice: ....An improvement for sure but not that impressive...So, now I am almost done with the cobra conversion, and can share with you what I have ran into so far....The sn95 booster is HUGE compared to the stock 86 booster! You WILL not only have to elongate/bore out the mounting holes, but also "massage" the strut tower ( if you search my posts I have put up pics). Not too bad but it took a while to get it just right without making the tower look like total s**t! just go a little bit at a time...now that I have got that in I noticed the fittings on the stock lines will not thread into the SN95 MC, would you happen to know what size I will need....anyone?

Also, now that I have come this far, and since you have done the SN95 rears..What lines did you use? and if you have any suggestions, tips, or tricks that may help me out...I will try and post the booster install pics again:nice:

It's been almost 3 years since I did the conversion. The rears go on easy. All you do is pop the diff cover pull out the axles, and bolt up the stuff. Make sure you have an anti moan brackt or you may moan....in a bad way. I bought a whole kit from I think Dave's Mustang. I got the last one they pieced together, and all of the lines came preformed. It's easy though, just get brake line and use the special brake line bending tool....your hands and it all hooks in I believe on top of the diff. Easy Peasy. Post pics dude, that would be sweet.

5LugFoxFanatic said:
I need some expert advice from the pro 5 lug fox guys. Here’s my situation. I have 94-04 SN95 brakes on the front and 94-98 disc’s on the rear. I have an 86, so my car is different than you 87-93 guys. I do not have a 3 port brake block, so I was not in need of the 3-2 port conversion. Instead of doing the BB and MC from an SN95, I used a MC from a 85 Lincoln Towncar which has a 1 inch bore, the ideal setup, like the 93 cobra, with my stock BB. I purchased the 13” Cobra upgrade for the fronts and I am doing the rear brakes in Cobra’s as well because the SN95 regular brakes will not work with the IRS I am doing. So I am wondering if I should change over to the SN95 setup for better braking? My pedal is nice and firm, but it is nearly impossible for me to lock up to wheels. If I stomp on the brakes now, it comes to a stop very quickly, but I cannot lock them up. If I decide to go with the SN95 route, I will have to make room for the massive brake booster which I am not fond of. Since I have the 2 port block, I would just plug the SN95MC into my stock block right? Would having the bigger booster and MC really make a huge difference in the braking? Is it worth it for me to do?

I would say install an adjustable Prop Valve and either a 93 Cobra Booster or an early SN95 Booster.

I am in the same boat. About 3 years ago I swapped over to the Cobra brake setup with a '95 V6/GT MC and stock booster, 3-2 conversion, Wilwood prop valve, and gutted prov valve. The braking is great, but I cannot lock the brakes. I am just wondering how much braking power am I leaving on the table.

I'm using the 95 cobra booster in my 88LX 03 cobra convertion and I can lock mine up if i wanted to. I had to beat the strut tower in one spot, cuz it's bigger than 93 cobra booster, but omg the thing will put me in the windsheild. I still have the 3 port though. I think i should go to the 2 port. I'm having one hell of a time try to get my rears to lock up when tuning it. Is this cuz I'm running the 3 port still?

LordMustangGT said:
no I said i was running the stock 88 4cyl ms but the 95 cobra booster.

Yes, if you are running the 3 port still with 4-wheel disks you have an imbalance in the front brakes and not enough pressure to the rears.

It's the way the 3-port is setup that the front driver's side brake sees full pressure off the MC while the rears and front pass side are split in the metering block.

Gutting the stock prop valve and installing an adjustable prop valve to the rear brakes will give you equal pressure to all 4 brakes and the ability to adjust the rear pressure.

But you should really upgrade to a 94-95 MC. I didn't the 3-port would flow enough fluid to properly operate 4 calipers.

Locking brakes up is a poor way to test braking power anyway. Even a geo metro can lock it's wheels. A good test is prolonged hard braking...in other words take the car up to 95MPH or so and lay into the brakes hard. As you slow down increase pressure to the point where you are about to lock and hold it all the way down. A good brake setup will give you good constant pedal feel all the way down. A poor setup will leave you with a spongy pedal or badly faded brakes as you slow.

awesome thank for the input. I did go out and hammer the brakes at 130mph, and they work great but like i said, I don't think the rears are getting enough pressure. I'll buy a two port MS and test again. I do have a prop valve inline already, and gutted the stock already. Well see if it works any better with the 2 port!!

LordMustangGT said:
awesome thank for the input. I did go out and hammer the brakes at 130mph, and they work great but like i said, I don't think the rears are getting enough pressure. I'll buy a two port MS and test again. I do have a prop valve inline already, and gutted the stock already. Well see if it works any better with the 2 port!!

It should. The 3-port MC just doesn't flow enough fluid since it was designed for rear drums

13" Cobra's up front, Lincoln Mark VII rear disc, adj. prop valve with 3-2 conversion, 95 GT MC and brake booster.. too much power assist. I can lock them up quite easily and that is NOT fun! Pedal feels too assisted, not enough modulation. I'd like to move to a smaller booster if it weren't such a pain in the ass.

Mavrick said:
13" Cobra's up front, Lincoln Mark VII rear disc, adj. prop valve with 3-2 conversion, 95 GT MC and brake booster.. too much power assist. I can lock them up quite easily and that is NOT fun! Pedal feels too assisted, not enough modulation. I'd like to move to a smaller booster if it weren't such a pain in the ass.

Maybe try installing SN95s out back or adjusting on your prop valve.

Well, my 85 Lincoln Town Car MC took a crap on me. I discovered leaking fluid this past weekend. So now the time has come for sure to do this. After I wrote this, I put Cobra’s in the rear. So now I have Cobra’s in the front and rear, and adj. Pro. Por valve, an 85 TC MC and the stock booster. I bought a 94 BB and am wondering if I should just get another 85 TC MC since they have the ideal bore size, or if I should get an Cobra MC since that’s what I have. The cobra MC is 15/16 which equates to .9375 as opposed to my 1.00. Is the .0625 really make that much difference when it comes to braking, because finding a Cobra MC is going to be difficult. Or, should I simply get the SN95 MC?