5 lug front swap question

GSP393

Aug 14, 2006
Orange County, Texas
Note: I did a search and didn't find the answer there.

Goal: 5 lug disc front/ 5 lug drum rear on 89GT.

Question: Are there any 5 lug front rotors that I can use without changing the brake lines and possibly spindles? I don't want to use SVO because of the large dust covers. The car will be built for the track and I'd like to do this with either cheap junkyard and over the counter parts. I'd like to run either drag lites or pro stars depending on what I can find when I'm ready.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't want to use SVO because of the large dust covers.

its not the rotors you have to worry about here, its the spindles. cobra r's and a few of the oem wheels can get around this because of the way they're hubs and center caps are designed, and iirc i havent seen a set of welds that hasnt cleared, but then i also havent seen/noticed too many 5-lug welds on foxes.

Go to 50resto.com. They have z budget 5 lug conversion kit. It is stock style conversion. It keeps the stock booster, li,es, calipers, etc. Its just like having it all stock except 5 lug. fyi
Posted via Mobile Device

disk brake axles are 3/4" wider each side

Uhm i think you're getting your info mixed up, yes the 94-95 housing itself is 3/4" wider but if you keep your stock axle housing and get fox length 5 lug axles for discs they are the same length, so keeping drums for wider tires is just another bad reason to keep rear drums on a fox
here are some options
Cobra Rear 11.65" rear rotors:
- North RaceCars Brackets - for the cobra rear rotors
-94+ loaded Cobra calipers complete (with bracket and hardware)
-94+ Cobra 11.65" vented rear rotors
-For the 87-92 cars, use the (2) FMS M-2809-A and (1) FMS M-2810-A cable
-For the 93, use the 93 cobra cables F3ZZ-2A635-A
-94-95 rear caliper hoses

94+ Mustang GT/V6 10.5" rear rotors:
- North RaceCars Brackets - for the GT/V6 rear rotors
-94+ loaded Mustang calipers complete (with bracket and hardware)
-94+ GT/V6 10.5" solid rear rotors
-For the 87-92 cars, use the (2) FMS M-2809-A and (1) FMS M-2810-A cable
-For the 93, use the 93 cobra cables F3ZZ-2A635-A
-94-95 rear caliper hoses

Other than that, fluids, a few miscellaneous fittings, caliper bolts, and address the stock master cylinder and proportioning valve.

Uhm i think you're getting your info mixed up, yes the 94-95 housing itself is 3/4" wider but if you keep your stock axle housing and get fox length 5 lug axles for discs they are the same length, so keeping drums for wider tires is just another bad reason to keep rear drums on a fox

the housings are the same, its the axles that are longer, which is why you can throw in the axles out of a 94-98 in with all their braketry. this is what the m2300k kit does, and why you need the nrc brackets (or flipped and modified sn brackets) to keep fox axles.

btw, as long as the offsets right, sn axles wont impede on using wider wheels, its just a bit tricky finding them.

its not the rotors you have to worry about here, its the spindles. cobra r's and a few of the oem wheels can get around this because of the way they're hubs and center caps are designed, and iirc i havent seen a set of welds that hasnt cleared, but then i also havent seen/noticed too many 5-lug welds on foxes.

So I can use SVO rotors on my GT spindles and still have the same wheel selection as sn95 rotors/spindles?

the housings are the same, its the axles that are longer, which is why you can throw in the axles out of a 94-98 in with all their braketry. this is what the m2300k kit does, and why you need the nrc brackets (or flipped and modified sn brackets) to keep fox axles.

btw, as long as the offsets right, sn axles wont impede on using wider wheels, its just a bit tricky finding them.

those are M179 cobra r rims, or any rim with a 6.5" backspace and a 36mm offset incase anyone was curious

Will sn95 rotors work on my fox GT spindles? If not, what about Ranger spindles and do they come in 11inch?

No, there is nothing that will work on your current spindles except for the SVO rotors...and certain wheels won't fir those rotors.

SN95 rotors only fit on SN95 spindles and will require new calipers and lines.

If new wheels are your goal, you'll need to consider Sn95 stuff up front.